Contribute
Register

New Method yields interesting results ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so, i wanted to test the booting off of a USB stick idea.

I started by getting a 8GiB USB stick, and using disc utility to format it with GPT, Journaled of course. I labeled it "Installer".

I then cloned my original Installer partition that was made to use xMove and such.
Once it was cloned, i then ran MultiBeast and selected *ONLY* EasyBeast and system utilities.

MB kept failing when it came to repair permissions and such, so i resorted back to Disc Utility, and repaired the disc that way.

I shut down my comp, and disconnected all drives, except for an 80GiB SATA I drive i use for testing purposes.

I spammed F12 to get to my boot selection via bios, selected the USB stick .......

And was blown away by what i found. No flags needed to boot. Full Resolution + QE / CI. So, i said to hell with it, and installed. It took LESS time via the USB stick, than via HDD.

First reboot after install, i used the BootLoader from *the installer USB stick* and selected my HDD.

At this point, i fully expected a KP, Hang, Lockup, something.

What i got, was a FLAWLESS boot. Again, full Reso, QE/CI going.

So i went ahead, and fired up MultiBeast from a different USB stick, ran it for the EasyBeast, System Utilities, and the VooDoo 0.2.1 Audio.

Ran KextBeast for my LAN Kext, removed all USB sticks from ports, and rebooted.

Back to the desktop, still fully working, now with sound and interwebs.

The Reason I'm so amazed about this, is the fact that I'm using an nVidia branded, reference design GTX 550Ti, whose DevID is NOT in the NVDAG100Hal.kext that everyone has to edit.

Its DevID is 0x1244, and it is NOT listed in the vanilla kext.

Heres a screenshot of the test bed's specs *iDell specs, just a naked drive* with NovaBench and GLViewer...
Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 8.55.25 PM.png

Just thought id share my experience with an alternative method for loading Lion to your machine, for a totally clean install.
Hope someone finds this useful.

***Edit*** Forgot to mention this, but Bluetooth was working for me out the gate as well. No need for an altered next that i had used before, another amazing thing that surprised the hell out of me, lol.
Cheers~!

~~Grave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 8.55.25 PM.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 248
I too have had similar experience.
I have an external HDD with Lion installed in it. It was meant to be for my testing and evaluation on whether I should stick with 10.6.8 or upgrade to OS X 10.7 Lion with my MacBook Air rev.B.

I was surprised that my hack1nt0sh managed to boot from the same external HDD and ran it very smoothly. Not mentioning that there were no kext, DSDT, patches or whatsoever in the disk as it was meant to be used with a genuine Mac machine.

I wonder how the magic happened too :confused: :think:

Impressive. Glad it works for ya

Gravewyrm said:
Ok, so, i wanted to test the booting off of a USB stick idea.

I started by getting a 8GiB USB stick, and using disc utility to format it with GPT, Journaled of course. I labeled it "Installer".

I then cloned my original Installer partition that was made to use xMove and such.
Once it was cloned, i then ran MultiBeast and selected *ONLY* EasyBeast and system utilities.

MB kept failing when it came to repair permissions and such, so i resorted back to Disc Utility, and repaired the disc that way.

I shut down my comp, and disconnected all drives, except for an 80GiB SATA I drive i use for testing purposes.

I spammed F12 to get to my boot selection via bios, selected the USB stick .......

And was blown away by what i found. No flags needed to boot. Full Resolution + QE / CI. So, i said to hell with it, and installed. It took LESS time via the USB stick, than via HDD.

First reboot after install, i used the BootLoader from *the installer USB stick* and selected my HDD.

At this point, i fully expected a KP, Hang, Lockup, something.

What i got, was a FLAWLESS boot. Again, full Reso, QE/CI going.

So i went ahead, and fired up MultiBeast from a different USB stick, ran it for the EasyBeast, System Utilities, and the VooDoo 0.2.1 Audio.

Ran KextBeast for my LAN Kext, removed all USB sticks from ports, and rebooted.

Back to the desktop, still fully working, now with sound and interwebs.

The Reason I'm so amazed about this, is the fact that I'm using an nVidia branded, reference design GTX 550Ti, whose DevID is NOT in the NVDAG100Hal.kext that everyone has to edit.

Its DevID is 0x1244, and it is NOT listed in the vanilla kext.

Heres a screenshot of the test bed's specs *iDell specs, just a naked drive* with NovaBench and GLViewer...

Just thought id share my experience with an alternative method for loading Lion to your machine, for a totally clean install.
Hope someone finds this useful.

***Edit*** Forgot to mention this, but Bluetooth was working for me out the gate as well. No need for an altered next that i had used before, another amazing thing that surprised the hell out of me, lol.
Cheers~!

~~Grave

Very impressive indeed ... don't suppose you would break it down to a step by step guide for us noobs?

Thanks,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back