Contribute
Register

New Method for Enabling NVIDIA Web Drivers in Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
This method only worked for me after a clean install in upgrade did not work ...
x99 + GTX 970

I've also never had a problem using the native OS drivers for 5+ years.

I have two kexts in the 10.12 directory (FakeSMC and NullCPU...) with using iMax 12,2 since I have a Sandy Bridge MB. The only reason I'm trying to use the NVIDIA drives is due to the black screen as explained in the forums. I'm starting to believe my problem is something else. When I use nv_disable=1 everything seems to be fine with Sierra (other than the graphics of course). Could I by change look a your config.plist file?

I'm going to try again to use the native drivers to see what happens. Thanks for the input.
I've also never had a problem using the native OS drivers for 5+ years.

I have two kexts in the 10.12 directory (FakeSMC and NullCPU...) with using iMax 12,2 since I have a Sandy Bridge MB. The only reason I'm trying to use the NVIDIA drives is due to the black screen as explained in the forums. I'm starting to believe my problem is something else. When I use nv_disable=1 everything seems to be fine with Sierra (other than the graphics of course). Could I by change look a your config.plist file?

I'm going to try again to use the native drivers to see what happens. Thanks for the input.

I double checked the config.plist. The only parameters I'm using under Sierra are dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1. Besides that our definitions are different however your definition is compatible with Sierra so that shouldn't be a problem. I hope you'll make it work with the native drivers. Good luck!

EDIT: Raketa, I just realized: have you tried to remove the nv_disable=1? That would disable the Nvidia native driver, I think. In any case, as mentioned above, I am using only nvda_drv=1. Give it a shot.

Last edited:
I only use nv_disable=1 to be able to see that Sierra installed correctly, other than that I don't use it. I curious why you use nvda_drv=1 since that is for using the NVIDIA Web Drivers. If you are using the native drivers you should not need to use it.

Thanks for your help. At least I have a backup to be able to continue to us El Capitan while trying to solve my Sierra installation.

Ok I can confirm it's the definition that was holding me back. I was using 11,2. Switched to 14,2 and kept same serial and smuuid. Booted right up.

Might work for y'all having problems too.

Updating to Sierra from El Capitan went well except for not being able to properly load the Nvidia web driver initially using the new method. I had copied all the kexts in the 10.11 folder to the folder Other in Clover. After troubleshooting, the problem was solved by removing the Shiki and iMac kexts I had added to view iTunes protected videos in El Capitan. I did not test to determine which one or both kexts as the cause. My GTX 970 is working fine now.

raketa, you mentioned that you are using the iMac12,2 system definition.... I was doing so myself and also was unable to get my GTX 960 working in Sierra, although it had worked flawlessly in El Capitan.

I switched to iMac14,2 and my GTX 960 started working instantly after the next boot... why don't you give this a try?

This worked for me. I was a 11,2 and switched to 14,2. Now back to 4K. (Only about 8 hours lost... :) )

This worked for me. I was a 11,2 and switched to 14,2. Now back to 4K. (Only about 8 hours lost... :) )

How do you switch from 12,2 to 14,2? Do you just change it in the config.plist file? I have serial numbers and machine numbers that I created for iMessage purposes.

How do you switch from 12,2 to 14,2? Do you just change it in the config.plist file? I have serial numbers and machine numbers that I created for iMessage purposes.

I used Clover Configurator. Magic Wand SMBIOS screen. After it generated everything, I copied all my serial numbers, etc. and pasted over the top. Saved. Rebooted.

Black screen went away. Nvidia drivers kicked in and I have 4k. Verified my iMessage still works.

I used Clover Configurator. Magic Wand SMBIOS screen. After it generated everything, I copied all my serial numbers, etc. and pasted over the top. Saved. Rebooted.

Black screen went away. Nvidia drivers kicked in and I have 4k. Verified my iMessage still works.

Good information ... it's worth a try ... Thanks and I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back