Contribute
Register

New member, help with mac pro 3,1 set up for fcpx video editing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mac pro 3,1
CPU
xenon 2.8 dual quad core
Graphics
nvidia 560 ti
I recently got a deal on a mac pro 3,1 with 8 core 2.8 ghz xenons, 22 gb ram, 1.756 tb across 4 hds. Oem upgraded gpu card with 526 mb vram

I want to use it for gopro 4k video work exclusively. 15-30 fps 4k video files and higher 1080 fps.

I was given a nvidia 560 ti card 1 gb vram i believe but not sure if it is compatible or worth installing but id like to use it for open cl gpu rendering w fcpx.

I guess my questions are:

1. What route can i take to optimize the system as it sits to work as best as it can? Curent video card is one of the oem upgrades with 526mb vram. Have to look it up to give specifics. Is the 560 ti a viable option or do i need something like the saphire card or a 680?

2. Can i customac it with new motherboard, processors, ram, etc and use some of the original hardware or will i essentially be replacing everything if i go that route?

3. Speed is not an issue, ill be working with 4k@30fps at max. Just want to be able to have clips run smooth on time line and such while working with them.

4. Would an upgrade to the oem xenon 3.2 ghz processors do much in my case or will it not be noticeable enough to warrant the change? From what I've read these are the fastest i can get for this model

5. Is it possible to pull a back board/logic board and ram trays from a 4,1/5,1 and fit them into my 3,1 case? I know if i do that there is more option for upgrade.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, especially with other aspects i may be overlooking with what i have.

Its currently on a fresh install of el capitan, i may try to upgrade to high sierra with the patch at some point once ive used it enough and know everything is bueno

Ok, i may try there, but i was hoping to hear some opinions here. Id think somebody on here would have some knoweledge on the topic.

This site offers downlodas and sych for video cards and things im trying to do, as why i posted here. I understand tgere are other sites, but again id like opinions from this site, as why i joined and posted

Unfortunately, only a few of us on this site currently own and have upgraded our older Mac Pros. Thus, my reason for recommending the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section as I read that forum several times a day. You questions will be answered there, but do your research as your questions are popular.

Your question (#2) about gutting the system is best answered by this forum's Case Mod (Mac Pro) forum section.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/mac-pro-mods.140/

I currently am running a Z87 based system in a 2008 Mac Pro case so modding is a viable option.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back