Contribute
Register

New member,1st post; build recommendation not to highest spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have issues been found with the Crucial MX500 500GB SSD. It seems that the MX500 has greatly improved performance to the MX300 but there is a step change in price between the 500GB & 1TB drives, the 1TB being on your list of recommended components whereas the 500GB is not ?

I use a 500GB Crucial MX500 in my MacBook Pro with macOS High Sierra, and it works pretty good.

Current status;
Dell Optilex 9020 purchased with i7 4th gen CPU (exact version not yet known) with new grahics card XFX Radeon GTX 580 8GB, 1TB Crucial SSD & new Dell U2419H 24" 60Hz monitor.
Q1 Which Mac OS would you recommend that I install; 10.14 or 10.15 ?

For the software preparation I intend to try to follow your instructions using gibMACos instaled on my Early 2008 20" iMac. This currently is running on 10.6.8 but as part of this campaign I intend to upgrade to 10.11, as an upgrade rather than new install.
Q2 Is it better to follow the gibMACos/Unibeast routine to create the bootable USB using the existing OS or after upgradng (the current installation was a new install from the Apple Snow Leopard DVD) ?

Q1 Which Mac OS would you recommend that I install; 10.14 or 10.15
A1 As I need to continue to access 32bit programs I will still need a bootable version of 10.14 to run in VirtualBox if I install 10.15. Given that all this is new to me I will stick to 10.14 for the time being. My legacy 32bit database will run in Windows 10 or in VirtualBox on OS10.14.
Q2 Is it better to follow the gibMACos/Unibeast routine to create the bootable USB using the existing OS or after upgradng (the current installation was a new install from the Apple Snow Leopard DVD) ?
A2 Am in process of installing clean version of 10.11 on existing early 2008 20" to overcome any potential problem with the gibMACos routine.

Am in process of installing clean version of 10.11 on existing early 2008 20" to overcome any potential problem with the gibMACos routine.
Yes, this is the best way to make your Unibeast installer on an older Mac. Update it to the newest macOS version it can run and then download Mojave via gibMacOS and make your USB installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back