Contribute
Register

New Mac Pro's, iMacs and Apple Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the G4 Cube? You'da thought Apple would have learned their lesson. Nobody wanted to buy into a dead end in 2000 and nobody wanted to buy into one in 2013. That may work for the consumer market and mobile phones, but not for pros spending $4k on a business tool.

In my opinion, the primary reason the G4 Cube failed was it's cost. If my memory is correct, it had a standard AGP slot and GPU upgrades were possible.

Given the direction Apple is going regarding 3rd party support I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Mac Pro more like an 8K monitor with a Nvidia Shield type scenario, and most of the compute and render done server side over fiber.

Whereas photographers and Youtube producers would be fine with an "iMac Pro" the next step up would be big production companies that would benefit from the server-farm/mother-ship power.

Just look how difficult Apple has made it for Logitech peripherals, for example, with Sierra. I don't see them opening the door for enthusiasts again. We'd just make Hackintoshes.

I don't understand what you mean about 3rd party support. Please elaborate.

I see no indication of Apple turning Macs to thin clients.

What issues have there been with Logitech peripherals. I don't have much of their stuff... Just a few keyboards and mice that I have not had any problems with in Sierra.

I'm very glad to hear about the Xeon upgrade for iMac, will make for many new options to build CustoMacs with native support.
The 1285 V6 Xeon is very much like a quad core I7-6700K/7700K 95W TDP CPU , just without the overclocking options. It does let you use ECC ram for those that need bit by bit accuracy in their professional work.

So macOS Pro users can breathe easier that Apple will not be abandoning the desktop anytime soon or in a worst case scenario, leaving Intel behind to create their own ARM based chips for Mac Desktops.

Last edited:
Interesting if it turns out to be true. Xeon chips and ECC ram in an iMac; surely that would eat away at the Mac Pro USP.
I wouldn't get too excited about that Xeon, it's actually slower then the current high-end iMac (i7-6700K). ECC is a plus though.

What issues have there been with Logitech peripherals. I don't have much of their stuff... Just a few keyboards and mice that I have not had any problems with in Sierra.

Without getting into it too much here, I have a G502 and the Logitech Gaming Software latest version for Sierra still creates invisible files at launch that don't get cleaned up Shut Down. (com.logitech.lcdmon.501) I've explained it to Logitech...

Anyhow, I hope I'm wrong about "thin clients" as you say, but Apple will go ARM desktops eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back