Contribute
Register

New Lilu and WhateverGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used Lilu,kext+WhatEverGreen.kext in dual GPU setup?

Im running Vega 64 and IGPU (HD4600) on Z97 Mobo (White Kight build in sig)
Running a large 21:9 3440 x 14400 display via DP and 2 1920x1080 via HDMI .. all good here.

HDMI Audio via DP on main monitor ... using Lilu + WhatEverGreen + AppleALC
I recently posted a new guide to Lilu here ... might give you a few tips ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
*Scratch that... IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Shiki is now intergrated in WhateverGreen so once i removed these kexts from EFI it booted normally and HDMI audio working. :D

I had a similar bootloop problem. Removing these kexts solved for me too. Thank you!

I have tried to search for this but most posts are relating to installing however when updating a kext do you just rerun kext beast with the updated kext on the desktop and then kext beast replaces it in /L/E?

I have tried to search for this but most posts are relating to installing however when updating a kext do you just rerun kext beast with the updated kext on the desktop and then kext beast replaces it in /L/E?

I have read on here to not use kextbeast because placing custom kexts into S/L/E is not desirable. I also am understanding some kexts like Lilu and WhateverGreen need to be in L/E due to being needed at boot time. Please, anyone jump in if I am incorrect.

The silly problem I seem to be having right now is that WEG and NoVPAJpeg are not loading due to a permissions issue. The also seem to have the '@' extended permissions symbol on there user permissions when listing with 'ls -l'. This seems like it should be a simple problem but it's getting me :/ Any help....?

I have read on here to not use kextbeast because placing custom kexts into S/L/E is not desirable. I also am understanding some kexts like Lilu and WhateverGreen need to be in L/E due to being needed at boot time. Please, anyone jump in if I am incorrect.

The silly problem I seem to be having right now is that WEG and NoVPAJpeg are not loading due to a permissions issue. The also seem to have the '@' extended permissions symbol on there user permissions when listing with 'ls -l'. This seems like it should be a simple problem but it's getting me :/ Any help....?
all your 3rd party kexts (FakeSMC.kext, lilu etc) belong in /Library/Extensions

and only essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

FakeSMC is essential whereas an audio kext is not classed as essential

you may find you have the same kexts in /Library/Extensions and in clover/kexts/other (ie FakeSMC and an ethernet kext etc) which is fine

and then in your config.plist, InjectKexts would be set to Detect

more info on this here scroll to post 2:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

all your 3rd party kexts (FakeSMC.kext, lilu etc) belong in /Library/Extensions

and only essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

FakeSMC is essential whereas an audio kext is not classed as essential

you may find you have the same kexts in /Library/Extensions and in clover/kexts/other (ie FakeSMC and an ethernet kext etc) which is fine

and then in your config.plist, InjectKexts would be set to Detect

more info on this here scroll to post 2:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Thank You for your input!

I have been :banghead: for two nights now on what seems to me should be a simple thing to do. I downloaded WEG and NoVPAJpeg. I copied them to /L/E and rebooted. No result. So I started digging. Everything I found says this is the proper procedure. I finally came to installing IOJones to find for sure they are not loaded. I have tried 'kextload' and 'sudo kextutil' to only continue getting permission errors. I changed ownership, set permissions 755 and even 777. I moved them to trash, emptied trash, downloaded KextBeast and let KB install them to /L/E. I disabled SIP in Clover Configurator (0x28 0x67). Always the same result. Even after installing with KB i still notice that the file permissions for both kexts end with '@'. The extended permissions tag. Not sure if this is normal. Please see attached screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fi2hhk07dld7rk/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.30.13.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t08pl4uyek2npz/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.32.09.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ue7af2cg8coxu/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.34.28.png?dl=0

I feel like this should be such a simple thing. Everyone here does it successfully. I have not had this problem on any other build. I am feeling like the village idiot! Thank You In Advance.

UPDATE: Just after writing this I found a utility named 'Kext Utility'. It claimed to repair kext permissions. Now, not only does WEG and NoVPAJpeg not load, but Lilu which was loading does not either according to IOJones! :banghead: :banghead: In fact it now looks like nothing in /L/E is loading according to IOJones. However some show with 'kextstat'.

p.s. I am working on the Z77x in my signature

Attachments

• 2018_12_3-Mojave-Current-config.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

I have been :banghead: for two nights now on what seems to me should be a simple thing to do. I downloaded WEG and NoVPAJpeg. I copied them to /L/E and rebooted. No result. So I started digging. Everything I found says this is the proper procedure. I finally came to installing IOJones to find for sure they are not loaded. I have tried 'kextload' and 'sudo kextutil' to only continue getting permission errors. I changed ownership, set permissions 755 and even 777. I moved them to trash, emptied trash, downloaded KextBeast and let KB install them to /L/E. I disabled SIP in Clover Configurator (0x28 0x67). Always the same result. Even after installing with KB i still notice that the file permissions for both kexts end with '@'. The extended permissions tag. Not sure if this is normal. Please see attached screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fi2hhk07dld7rk/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.30.13.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t08pl4uyek2npz/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.32.09.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ue7af2cg8coxu/Screenshot 2018-12-03 22.34.28.png?dl=0

I feel like this should be such a simple thing. Everyone here does it successfully. I have not had this problem on any other build. I am feeling like the village idiot! Thank You In Advance.

UPDATE: Just after writing this I found a utility named 'Kext Utility'. It claimed to repair kext permissions. Now, not only does WEG and NoVPAJpeg not load, but Lilu which was loading does not either according to IOJones! :banghead: :banghead: In fact it now looks like nothing in /L/E is loading according to IOJones. However some show with 'kextstat'.

It's not the "recommended" way to do it, but have you tried to just move all those hackintosh kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/? Don't need to mess with kextcaches or permissions when installing there.

Again, it's not the recommended way to do it, but I do it this way, it works for me, and I never had a problem with doing it this way. YMMV.

Last edited:
It's not the "recommended" way to do it, but have you tried to just move all those hackintosh kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/? Don't need to mess with kextcaches or permissions when installing there.

Again, it's not the recommended way to do it, but I do it this way, it works for me, and I never had a problem with doing it this way. YMMV.

Thank You pastrychef. I am sorry for forgetting to include that. Yes, I did have them there as well. They did not load from there either. Then I had a response and read that as you say, they shouldn't be there so I used KextBeast and installed them in /L/E thinking surely that would work. I appreciate your response and still looking for a solution. This should be simple right? I must be missing something obvious.

I am also still stumped why these two kexts have the extended permissions '@' at the end user permissions when you do a 'ls -l'. Is this normal?

Last edited:

FIXED!!: I always like when a solution is posted, so I am letting everyone know it is solved and how. I must thank @RehabMan. He solved it indirectly. I began reading his FAQ on things to do before asking a question. I came to the part describing how to load kexts manually. I removed the existing kexts. I then copied them back in from the CLI as described. When I cleared the cache using 'kextcache -i /' I found two issues.
#1 - The kexts were also in /S/L/E. Not sure if MultiBeast did this in the beginning or if KextBest did it even though I selected /L/E. I removed them from /S/L/E.

#2 - WEG and NoVPAJpeg kexts gave an error about linking with Lilu.kext. This made me think about version numbers. WEG is 1.2.4 and NoVPAJpeg is 1.0.0. Lilu.kext was 1.2.5 installed by MultiBeast during install. I removed Lilu.kext and copied in the latest 1.2.8.
I again ran kextcache without error. I rebooted and VOILA!! Kexts are loaded and now I can Quicklook / Preview jpegs!! My system is complete. THANK YOU TO ALL!!

To tie it back to this thread, I also am using Lilu 1.2.8 - WhateverGreen 1.2.4 - AppleALC 1.3.0 with NoVPAJpeg 1.0.0 to view jpegs. I use on board audio and have not tested HDMI audio.

Last edited:
Ok, hands are in the air here.

Im struggling to get to get Whatevergreen to show up in Hackintool. It says, NO. I've installed in L/E and I even tried it in Other. What gives?

Second problem, possibly unrelated to this thread (boot me if so I but I have a suspicion they are related), in Hackintool they my platform id isn't showing up under system info. Any advice on where to look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back