i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey there,
i want to build an ITX Workstation which i want to extend with a GPU (RX580 or Vega) in December, if everything else works fine till then.
Xcode and IntelliJ are my needed programs to work.

So i went through the buyers guide and want to order this Hardware:

Intel Core i7 9700
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro WIFI
32GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000
2x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo

First Question: The 9700 (non-K) and the RAM aren't mentioned in the buyers guide, but CPU and RAM are the slightest parts i should worry about, right?

So after some more research on the topic, i assume everything will run, except the wifi. Is that plausible? Here https://www.hackint0sh.org/best-hackintosh-compatible-motherboard/#GIGABYTE_Z390_I_AORUS_PRO_WiFi it also says, that everything is usable, but the wifi.
Basically i don't need wifi and the related features. Ethernet is my preferred solution anyway.
But what i need is bluetooth because i want to keep my mx master and bt keyboard on my clean desk ;) So my main question: is it possible to use the built-in bluetooth or is it an adapter or a m2 solution needed?

Here someone got the CNVI bt running on another GB-Board:
Would it be worth a try on the mentioned Z390-I?

At least Xcode and IntellJ IDEs are needed. So are my assumptions right to get everything up and running? Or should i think about another mainboard without CNVi for a more simple exchange of the wifi/bt card?
The Gigabyte will cost me around 165€, and the other mini-ITX recommendation (ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I) is about 50€ more expensive than the Gigabyte. So basically i would go cheaper with an adapter if needed. Or is there any better ITX Board for my needs?

Thanks a lot
a2hur

Hey there,
i want to build an ITX Workstation which i want to extend with a GPU (RX580 or Vega) in December, if everything else works fine till then.
Xcode and IntelliJ are my needed programs to work.

So i went through the buyers guide and want to order this Hardware:

Intel Core i7 9700
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro WIFI
32GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000
2x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo

First Question: The 9700 (non-K) and the RAM aren't mentioned in the buyers guide, but CPU and RAM are the slightest parts i should worry about, right?

So after some more research on the topic, i assume everything will run, except the wifi. Is that plausible? Here
https://www.hackint0sh.org/best-hackintosh-compatible-motherboard/#GIGABYTE_Z390_I_AORUS_PRO_WiFi
it also says, that everything is usable, but the wifi.

Basically i don't need wifi and the related features. Ethernet is my preferred solution anyway.
But what i need is bluetooth because i want to keep my mx master and bt keyboard on my clean desk ;) So my main question: is it possible to use the built-in bluetooth or is it an adapter or a m2 solution needed?

Here someone got the CNVI bt running on another GB-Board:

Would it be worth a try on the mentioned Z390-I?

At least Xcode and IntellJ IDEs are needed. So are my assumptions right to get everything up and running? Or should i think about another mainboard without CNVi for a more simple exchange of the wifi/bt card?
The Gigabyte will cost me around 165€, and the other mini-ITX recommendation (ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I) is about 50€ more expensive than the Gigabyte. So basically i would go cheaper with an adapter if needed. Or is there any better ITX Board for my needs?

Thanks a lot
a2hur

(1) The i7 9700 will most likely work. Not in the Buyer's Guide does not mean it doesn't work. I use a i7 9700KF which is not in the Buyer's Guide, and it works with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave. Most likely it will also work with Catalina.

As for the RAM, as long as it works with the motherboard it should work with MacOS. I use Kingston RAM myself and it works fine (4 sticks of 16 GB DDR4-2666 for a total of 64 GB on my main system).

(2) The WiFi / Bluetooth hardware included with the motherboard is not compatible with MacOS. If you want these functions you will need to purchase a MacOS compatible card.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. It would be better to get rid of this sentence in the buyers guide to prevent misinterpretation:
Please note, the included Intel m.2 card includes both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but only the bluetooth features are available under macOS.

I looked up some other mini-ITX Boards now, and the ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac has also a M.2/E-Key with built in wifi. Here it seems, that no CNVi is used. So an successful installation of an compatible WIFI Card in this slot would be more likely, right?
Other builds used the "Phantom Gaming" Edition of this Board. But actually i don't see big differences between them (except additional Thunderbolt and the Number of USB Ports).

If i want a simple and safe solution, i should probably just go for a µATX with additional PCIe Slot :roll2:

/Edit: I changed the Topic name: The ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac (NON Phantom Gaming) is now my preffered Board. Anyone got some practial Experience with the non PG Edition?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. It would be better to get rid of this sentence in the buyers guide to prevent misinterpretation:

I looked up some other mini-ITX Boards now, and the ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac has also a M.2/E-Key with built in wifi. Here it seems, that no CNVi is used. So an successful installation of an compatible WIFI Card in this slot would be more likely, right?
Other builds used the "Phantom Gaming" Edition of this Board. But actually i don't see big differences between them (except additional Thunderbolt and the Number of USB Ports).

If i want a simple and safe solution, i should probably just go for a µATX with additional PCIe Slot :roll2:

/Edit: I changed the Topic name: The ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac (NON Phantom Gaming) is now my preffered Board. Anyone got some practial Experience with the non PG Edition?

Does everything OK with Asrock Z390M-itx. I have the same mobo (i7-9700 + RX580) but still on Windows 10.

@shihi actually i bought the Phantom Gaming so i cannot really tell you.
My decision for the PG was at the end quiet easy: It has two M2 Slots for SSDs. I wanted the speed for both, windows and mac. So the Phantom Gaming was the only way.

But if you already has the hardware present, just give it a try.

Does everything OK with Asrock Z390M-itx. I have the same mobo (i7-9700 + RX580) but still on Windows 10.

i have done my first build using clover and then moved to opencore on same board (ASRock ITXm-itx/ac) and iGPU. Everything works perfectly. No issues so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back