Graphics
3 GTX 680 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Does anyone know or have had success with the brand new Intel Xeon E5 Sandy Bridge series? I'm currently running a 6 year old Mac Pro and it's time to upgrade. However I think I need to keep my options open for when Apple ditches the Mac Pro's all together...if they haven't already. I would love to build a system with dual Xeon E5-2687Ws on the new EVGA SR-X board when that board is released. Any thoughts or successes?

ViperJPB said:
Does anyone know or have had success with the brand new Intel Xeon E5 Sandy Bridge series? I'm currently running a 6 year old Mac Pro and it's time to upgrade. However I think I need to keep my options open for when Apple ditches the Mac Pro's all together...if they haven't already. I would love to build a system with dual Xeon E5-2687Ws on the new EVGA SR-X board when that board is released. Any thoughts or successes?

There are a few people who have successful builds with the SR-2.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=48807

I'll bet they will make an attempt with the SR-X once it's released.

wfj said:
ViperJPB said:

Thanks. Yeah I have seen those but I wonder and question is if the new Sandy Bridge E5 Xeons will even work on a hackintosh since there are no official Macs with these new processors as of yet?

ViperJPB said:
wfj said:
ViperJPB said:

Thanks. Yeah I have seen those but I wonder and question is if the new Sandy Bridge E5 Xeons will even work on a hackintosh since there are no official Macs with these new processors as of yet?

I'm guessing it will work but not sure I want to plunk down the cash to find out:) Given there are people using the sb-e cpu in hacks, it would stand to reason that those xeons would work. The biggest issue is probably power management for the cpu.

I'm guessing it will work but not sure I want to plunk down the cash to find out:) Given there are people using the sb-e cpu in hacks, it would stand to reason that those xeons would work. The biggest issue is probably power management for the cpu.

Hmm Interesting. Thanks.

They've held out so long on building a new MacPro, I wouldn't be surprised if the workstation disappears entirely in leu of the robust i7 iMacs, despite the advantages of the full size system.

Seems like there's more interest in harnessing the virtual processors rather than the additional real cores in a multi-processor system.

I've frequently toyed with the idea of building a Xeon system with the intent of running X, but it's only been until now that Xeon has been so aggressively priced.

I wouldn't give up on the Mac Pro line just yet. There are still rumors to both sides saying that they might release a new one or they might phase it out. There are also rumors about replacing it with a mid range more affordable line. I'm not sure if you saw this thread a while back that tony posted about it, but there are some links about rumors.

viewtopic.php?f=139&t=49947

I personally have a hard time believing that they would completely do away with their only true desktop line.

I have a hard time with that, as well, but a Mac Mini with a solid state drive makes an unusually effective server.

My guess is there will be one last Mac Pro release before they phase it out. The Mac Pro line is really for content creation. High-End Film & Video work, Compositing, Motion Graphics, & 3D rendering. Those areas no i7 based system can suffice for gobs of memory and dual Xenons. Sadly Apple has conquered the consumer sector and that's a way bigger fish and way higher volume. The Professional Industry that relied and relies on Mac Pro's is a much smaller niche. The death of their server line and the terrible restructuring of Final Cut Pro into the monstrosity that is Final Cut X are all signs of this. Plus look at our beloved OS X.... Slowly becoming iOS and closed. It's sad really. I went kicking and screaming from a PC workstation workflow to a Mac workstation when they went Intel becaue it made since to have the best of both worlds. Especially with Boot Camp. I may sadly now go kicking and screaming back to a PC workstation now. Hoping I can at least hackintosh it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back