Contribute
Register

New iMacs Now Available With 9th Gen Intel Core CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG 34WK95U 5k2k

For the Intel i9 processors (9700K, 9900K) which chipset is being used in the new MACs? Is it the Z390 chipset (or Z370) ?
Which WLAN / Blutooth module is being integrated ?
If the Z390 chipset is being used, I can imagine, that Intel 9560 Wifi AC module would also be supported under MacOS.

I had a chance to visit APPLE STORE in tokyo. New iMac has already displayed.
21inch model SMBIOS is iMac19,2 and 27inch model is iMac19,1. so 9900K or INTEL 9th processor hackintosh will be suit for iMac19,1.
MacOS Mojave installed in new iMac is 10.14.4(18E2034), that is different from my hackintosh one (10.14.4(18E226)).

Max maxes out the new i9-9900K iMac for 2019. "Shocking results." to quote Max.

Apple has set the fan curve very low to keep this iMac quiet even under load. They sacrifice performance of the CPU to keep the fan speeds from ramping up and making noise. It doesn't reach TJmax in Max's testing but the CPU stays well under 4GHz most of the time. Is it still worth paying over 3,000 dollars for one ? Depends on what you'll be doing with it. If you like to overclock your i9-9900K to close to 5GHz you won't be happy with this obviously. If you are not likely to push the CPU then it's a pricey machine but nice to have that short term spike in clock speed to 4.9 GHz when needed.
The best thing about this 8 core iMac is that you can buy it and never have to experience all the T2 chip problems (frequent crashing) that plagues the desktop Macs that currently have one. So, if you've got the money to buy one of these it's likely the last new iMac you'll ever buy that comes without the T2.

Last edited:
Other information. WIFI and bluetooth that new iMac has is broadcom one, not INTEL Wifi AC, I think this wil be the same as macmini has. 21inch iMac connects with Radeon Pro 560X PCIe *8, 27inch iMac connects with Radeon Pro 580X PCIe *16.

The best thing about this 8 core iMac is that you can buy it and never have to experience all the T2 chip problems (frequent crashing) that plagues the desktop Macs that currently have one. So, if you've got the money to buy one of these it's likely the last new iMac you'll ever buy that comes without the T2.

I am a partner at a Recording Studio and one of the rigs is a 2018 Mac mini and we have yet to have any crashes. However, we route most of the audio devices threw the TB3 and the USB ports are often left open. We have yet to see a crash when Live recording, Mixing sessions, or when rendering tracks. I also have a Mac mini that I use for Architectural design, 3D modeling and rendering. IT does not crash either.

I am a partner at a Recording Studio and one of the rigs is a 2018 Mac mini and we have yet to have any crashes. However, we route most of the audio devices threw the TB3 and the USB ports are often left open. We have yet to see a crash when Live recording, Mixing sessions, or when rendering tracks. I also have a Mac mini that I use for Architectural design, 3D modeling and rendering. IT does not crash either.
I've seen it reported mostly in the iMac Pros and Macbook Pros. Maybe they're doing something different with the New mini since it's the latest iteration of the T2. Good to hear it's working. Hopefully they've found a fix they can implement in the next iMac refresh. https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/25/apple-t2-chip-blamed-for-2018-macbook-pro-and-imac-pro-crashes/
It may also be that the Music studio isn't using the features that cause the most T2 crashes.
The T2 sub-processor manages the image quality of the FaceTime camera, as well as regulating boot safety and boot security, encrypting and decrypting data sent to flash storage, fan speeds, speakers, and secures built-in microphones. It is also used to power "Hey Siri" vocal prompts for Apple's digital assistant.

While the cause of the kernel panics are unclear, with symptoms and hardware setups varying between users, Apple is seemingly aware of the problem and has been working on it since the start of 2018. One user notes the Kernel Version increase from 17.3.0 to 17.4.0 resulted in fewer panics, reducing the count from a daily occurrence to one that happens once or twice a week.

In some cases, Apple has reportedly replaced the hardware, but the issue seemingly continued even on the new unit for a few users, suggesting a software conflict of some sort.

In the posts, Apple support staff suggests iMac Pro users wipe and reinstall MacOS, disable FileVault, and disable Power Nap. For those not willing to perform those, other forum posts suggested crashes could be reduced by not daisy-chaining devices, not using a Thunderbolt 3-to-Thunderbolt 2 adapter, disable Secure Boot, turn off power management options, remove third-party kernel extensions, avoid leaving it to idle overnight, and to not unlock it with an Apple Watch.

Last edited:
In the posts, Apple support staff suggests iMac Pro users wipe and reinstall MacOS, disable FileVault, and disable Power Nap. For those not willing to perform those, other forum posts suggested crashes could be reduced by not daisy-chaining devices, not using a Thunderbolt 3-to-Thunderbolt 2 adapter, disable Secure Boot, turn off power management options, remove third-party kernel extensions, avoid leaving it to idle overnight, and to not unlock it with an Apple Watch.

No File Vault, no Power Nap, lots of daisy chain FW devices, TB2 Gdrive Raid to TB3. The one in the design studio is unlocked with a watch and sleeps at 4/hrs, the one in the audio studio is not and is shut down at night. Siri is off on both rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back