Contribute
Register

New iMacs Now Available With 9th Gen Intel Core CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple is such a joke at this point. ZERO innovation.

If you look at Z170 to Z270 to Z370, what new innovations were there? Apple is not responsible for the Intel CPUs or chipsets. A logical explanation as to why the T2 isn't included can be found above.

As for the iMac enclosure, it's Apple's modus operandi to not change chassis designs often.

The 5K display is still best in class and I don't see any need for change there.

What can they possibly have "innovated" on?

I would like to see a Buyer's Guide:
Best components for most appropriate real iMac.
So we can made a hackintosh with best native components.
All the components are already there. Use a Z390 mITX or mATX motherboard with an i9-9900K and at least 32GB of DDR4 ram and the largest NVME M.2 drive you can afford. You'll have some of the best specs available for a new build that will work with the new 2019 iMac SMIBIOS. You can overclock it with the right cooler, upgrade or change parts later very easily. You get to choose your graphics and standalone monitor. Best of all, not have to pay close to $4,000 for the build.

Anyone already know what is the number of this iMac? 19.1, 19.3?

they still offer outdated fusion drives ?!

It's just such a travesty when you can build an imac or macbook pro BTO on apple and quickly be over 4k for MID range. or do a custom build hack with that money and have an utter beast. The apple markup on things, especially storage, ram, cpu/gpu upgrades is unacceptable pricing when you know how much those parts really cost.

It's just such a travesty when you can build an imac or macbook pro BTO on apple and quickly be over 4k for MID range. or do a custom build hack with that money and have an utter beast. The apple markup on things, especially storage, ram, cpu/gpu upgrades is unacceptable pricing when you know how much those parts really cost.

You could get the I9 with the Vega and a 512 SSD for 3250 + 300 do it yourself upgrade to the memory. It is really not that badly priced. To build an equal hack with 5k Monitor you are looking at roughly the same price.

Edit:

I built a the same system on Newegg as the new Imac as described above and actually the hack comes out to be more expensive. Yes there is the benefit that the LG ultra fine monitor can be reused where the Imac can not but it is far from unacceptable pricing. Not speaking about the lower end ones.

None of the above factors in the time it could and will take you to make the Hackwork 100% Thunderbolt 3 is difficult. If your unlucky like myself I can tell you that at a 50% hourly rate reduction just in hours I have spent at least $3200 in labor.

Last edited:
far from unacceptable pricing.
...and still are the the apple upgrade prices especially storage, ram, cpu/gpu imo unacceptable.

The default configuration comes with outdated technology fusion drive ?

...and still are the the apple upgrade prices especially storage, ram, cpu/gpu imo unacceptable.

View attachment 394769

The default configuration comes with outdated technology fusion drive ?
In the USA right now an HP NVME drive, 1TB new costs about $160 at most places. Slightly better than 840 Euros !
Apple charges 700 USD here. So that's $540 more upgrade cost when configuring a new iMac.
It's also just as fast as the one Apple sells as an upgrade. Over 3,000 MBps read speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795Z97K7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I've just loaded up a cart at Newegg with what I would buy as an equivalent build to the iMac 2019 w/9900K. This would be a new build for video editing in FCP X and Davinci Resolve color grading.

The CustoMac iMac build would cost me $1,020 less. It would even include a 1,239 dollar LG 5K display. 34" widescreen.

Cost would be $3,586 for the iMac vs. $2,566 for a Customac iMac equivalent. A $1020 difference. Prices include all taxes and shipping.

2019 iMac
+ taxes
For the Newegg CustoMac

I specced out an i9-9900K CPU, 32GB of ram and a 500GB NVME SSD in both the iMac and Customac. Selected a Gigabyte Designare ATX motherboard with dual TH3 onboard. Picked out a good Phanteks Eclipse P400 case and a 650W gold rated PSU and an RX580 8GB Sapphire Pulse gfx card. So if all I have to do is build it and install macOS then save over 1000 dollars I'd always go with the CustoMac. I would also probably spend about 750 dollars less on the monitor but I just wanted to compare Apples to Apples. So in the final calculation I'd come out $1,771 ahead by choosing the CustoMac equivalent to the new imac 9900K with 32GB ram and 500GB NVME drive. I would probably choose the 27" 4K LG monitor that sells for under $500 at Newegg and other online retailers.

LG 5K monitor is fully height adjustable. Is like having dual monitors without taking up as much desk real estate. Has TH3 DP 1.4 and dual HDMI 2.0 ports. HDR and even two USB ports.

A6ZP_1_201901091599971816.jpgScreen Shot 43.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back