Register

New iMac20,2 SMBIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
OpenCore Configurator got the New Smbios

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.39.36.png

OpenCore Configurator got the New Smbios

View attachment 484431
If possible can you upload your EFI Folder after removing your personal data, I am experimenting with different new Mac models to see the performance between each one - Thanks.

What bootloader are you using? I have a very similar system and I am using smibios 19,1. With clover I was never really happy with the stability and responsiveness of the system like you mentioned. However when I switched to OpenCore it was night and day. Boot times are reduced dramatically, no more micro freezes or stutter and cpu management is spot on according to the intel power gadget. All Apple features are working great for me (AppleTV drm, handoff, continuity, sidecar, Apple watch unlock/approve, hardware encoding)
OC. Boot times will depend on how your Hack is set up. Having things set up properly typically makes the boot times negligible between the two.

1,1 will have proper power management, but you lose Sidecar. 7,1 has neither but carries the best GPU stability and performance. Timing depends on your hardware and how well it's supported (which are the microstutters you're referring to). 1,1 and 7,1 both have good DRM support. 19,1 requires additional boot arguments and will depend on which of the streaming services you use.

Do this. Trim a video using QT and save it. Play it again. Check out how well that works out for you.

If you don't do any kind of video editing (LCPX) or have a beefy dGPU, then 19,1 is fine. 1,1 and 7,1 are much better for systems that are gaming or do video processing.

You have a very similar rig as mine so you should see the benefits of 1,1 or 7,1 instantly over 19,1.

I have a few questions for using this new 20,2 smbios. As LordHumungus also mentioned...
  • Is Sidecar functioning?
  • Can you play Netflix videos/DRM content?
  • is iMessage working?
  • is Siri working?
Basically, I'm worried some DRM/Authentication related things not working due to the missing T2 chip. If these things don't work I think I'll be staying on my 19,1 smbios.

As a matter of fact I am somewhat sceptical of our friend's claim to having the 20,1 or 20,2 SMBIOS on his rig although Opencore Configurator (which I do not use) is reported to contain the new Macs SmBIOS. He has posted a pic of 'About this Mac' as proof of his achievement but ignored a simple request (absolutely his choice) to post his EFI Folder minus his data or even just his config.plist alone.

I have searched far and wide for other posts on the claim for installations using the new 2020 Mac Models and have found none so far. Not wanting to instigate a war of words over his claim or achievement, I choose to look elsewhere for credible successful new 2020 Mac Model builds.

I am interested in this as well. I just upgraded to the 2nd Beta and while "4k" is no longer greyed out for some of my movies (yay) while audio plays video does not. Same for Netflix.

I am using the iMac Pro SMBIOS with Open Core. I had it working previously on the prior Beta. Only HD, however.

As a matter of fact I am somewhat sceptical of our friend's claim to having the 20,1 or 20,2 SMBIOS on his rig although Opencore Configurator (which I do not use) is reported to contain the new Macs SmBIOS. He has posted a pic of 'About this Mac' as proof of his achievement but ignored a simple request (absolutely his choice) to post his EFI Folder minus his data or even just his config.plist alone.

I have searched far and wide for other posts on the claim for installations using the new 2020 Mac Models and have found none so far. Not wanting to instigate a war of words over his claim or achievement, I choose to look elsewhere for credible successful new 2020 Mac Model builds.
macSmbio.png
@esafeddie not sure if you got 20,1 up or not. I just recompiled OC and the latest Kexts and managed to boot 20,1.

Yes I have on a test ssd drive just to see if it was possible with the new 2020 Mac Models but found it was not feasible for my uses at the moment, maybe in the future when they are fully supported I will change to one of the new SmBIOS. Here is a pic of my install also see the Apple report on BS and new Mac Models. I did report my findings on an earlier post with pics also.

I moved back to 1,1 fairly quick. For one thing I lost Apple Video. No DRM either. AppleTV would crash. No reason to get sucked into playing right now...will probably have another beta revision in a week......

Yes it is best to wait until the new 2020 Mac Models are fully supported to run Big Sur by Apple then possibly consider changing to one as close as possible to your specs so you can get all the features you're running now with an old model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back