Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
aclk.jpg
Apple's iMac is due for a refresh soon- it could've just been confirmed to come sooner rather than later. According to Pike's Universum, the 10.9.4 beta has some proof. The 2013 iMac is labeled 14,1, 14,2, and 14,3.

The most interesting part is the addition of three new resources (plist) files for power management:

Mac-81E3E92DD6088272.plist / iMac15,1 (IGPU only)
Mac-42FD25EABCABB274.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE02)
Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE02)

Maybe they'll show off updated iMacs next week at WWDC.

Source:
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/os-x-mavericks-10-9-4-build-13e9-seeded/

this is awesome news maybe they will keep the current line up and lower the price i sure hope so anyhow although it's not apple usual thing to do but sometimes they are flu of surprises

Will they still use nvidia GPUs?

Will they still use nvidia GPUs?

A lot of rumour has circulated that makes some sense, in that Apple is expected at some point to release cheaper versions of the iMac so as to capture a different chunk of the market. They have done it with the iphone 5c and still selling the iphone4 as a basic model in some regions.

Thinking along those lines, and if it is the cheaper versions of the iMac, you could expect the built-in graphics that come with most intel chips i.e 4600/5000/5200 and then maybe a mid range GPU that doesnt best the current iMac GPU. It seems unlikely that they would switch GPU vendors at this stage.

But this could also be simply a planned refresh so they have at least something to show off in terms of hardware.

One thing I secretly hope for is Maxwell support. It makes a lot of sense since nvidia are concentrating on getting the mobile gpu's out the door before the dekstop version (And Apple uses mainly the mobile variant GPUs), and that they are concentrating a lot on power management too. We all know the Maxwell is low power and ok-to-good performance, and with a cheap price this would slot in quite nicely between the Intel HDxxxx and the current top end iMacs.

/endofwishfulthinking

The thing is that I'm looking to buy the full option one (except ram). I'm a 3D artist so nvidia is a must... . As far as I know, GTX 880M is still Kepler. A full GK104 just like GTX 780M has but with higher clocks and nvidia claims it has 8 GB :D. It's faster than the competition and the most important it has a lower power draw, witch makes a lot of sense considering the slim design.

I really, really hope they will use GTX 880M or MX whatever, Kepler or Maxwell. I have the money on my desk, ready to buy one. Let's not give up hope :p.

The thing is that I'm looking to buy the full option one (except ram). I'm a 3D artist so nvidia is a must... . As far as I know, GTX 880M is still Kepler. A full GK104 just like GTX 780M has but with higher clocks and nvidia claims it has 8 GB :D. It's faster than the competition and the most important it has a lower power draw, witch makes a lot of sense considering the slim design.

I really, really hope they will use GTX 880M or MX whatever, Kepler or Maxwell. I have the money on my desk, ready to buy one. Let's not give up hope :p.

MSI Dominator Pro GT70-2PE has the 880M with 8Gb video ram, plus a couple of others in the GT60 and GT70 range they produce. New hackintosh project anyone ?

:lol:

One thing I secretly hope for is Maxwell support. ... We all know the Maxwell is low power and ok-to-good performance, and with a cheap price this would slot in quite nicely between the Intel HDxxxx and the current top end iMacs.

/endofwishfulthinking
<wishfulthinking>
I'm in agreement with you. (Shhhhh, secret.) The 750 & 750 Ti look to be very good mid level graphics cards...especially the Gigabyte versions with dual DVI and dual HDMI for a four monitor hookup using very little power. :thumbup:
</wishfulthinking>

<wishfulthinking>
I'm in agreement with you. (Shhhhh, secret.) The 750 & 750 Ti look to be very good mid level graphics cards...especially the Gigabyte versions with dual DVI and dual HDMI for a four monitor hookup using very little power. :thumbup:
</wishfulthinking>

I spotted that Gigabyte model too. But where are the 2xDisplayPort versions ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back