Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
First of all i'd like to say Hi, and what a fantastic informative site this is :).

I'm building a new system and researched as much as possible to find the right hardware, I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with the graphics card side of things, i've listed one below which im due to pick up from the store tomorrow, but i'm not sure if this card is any good or how compatible, i don't want to spend too much I have a budget of around £40-£90.

Spec so far:

CPU: Intel i5 750
Board: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 (It's the same price as the P55M-UD2, I can swap for that if thats better?)
Graphics: Nvidia 9500GT 512MB (I really need help here, was looking at ATI 4xxx's or Nvidia G2xx What is the most compatible card with reasonable performance?)
DVD: Optiarc AD7241S
Ram: Corsair Dominator XS3 PC3 10666C9 1333mhz (I think this might be wrong for the board?)

Any help with the above would be gratefully appreciated.

Dale

Thank you for the prompt reply,

A bit of everything really, mainly used for work purposes, but when she's not home possibly some games.

I don't want a card thats stupid quick and going to cost an arm and a leg, but want something thats's a good allrounder and easy to get going in OSX without messing about too much.

It's funny doing things this way around, as years ago I was hacking pc parts to work in macs, and flashing pc graphics cards with mac bios's!.

I think i'll get the XFX 9800GT 512mb DDR3, I hope this card is ok.

dale-uk said:
I have that exact card and it works great for what I use it for, and it can handle games fairly well on my 23" monitor at full res. It's a good choice, I haven't had any problems this far.

Griffwill said:
dale-uk said:
I have that exact card and it works great for what I use it for, and it can handle games fairly well on my 23" monitor at full res. It's a good choice, I haven't had any problems this far.

Thats reassuring :).

System is built, now just have to pop out and buy a SL DVD :).

Final Spec was:

CPU: i5 750
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3
RAM: G.Skill CAS 7 DDR3 PC12800 4GB (2x2GB)
Graphics: XFX 9800GT 512mb
Hard Drive: Samsung F3 SATA II 1TB 32MB
Case: Zalman Z7
Optical: Optiarc 7241S DVD/RW Litescribe
Monitor: Samsung 2433LW 16:9 24" 1080p
Keyboard: Emprex Slim 6310U (I adore this!!, it's only £9 and very very mac like and nice to type on)

Well, it all seemed to work. Everything was fine till I updated it!.. now I have a blue screen on boot, I guess i'll have to start another thread in a different part of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back