Contribute
Register

New High Sierra Install Boots from USB but not from HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jbarish: I think allocfree has a good idea. Instead of copying over the EFI from your install, use MultiBeast or the Clover install package, then copy over the kexts and configure the config.plist manually.

I did apply Multibeast to my SSD after booting from the USB installer and the SSD won't boot by itself.
Then I tried copying over the EFI Folder from the USB EFI to the SSD EFI partition and still no boot.
It did make me wonder if I could get the SSD to boot using the EFI folder copied from the USB installer if I would need to reinstall multibeast??

I am out of my league here. I did manage to get this working on a previous build a very long time ago, and I don't remember the details.

Basically Unibeast installs MacOS, and Multibeast installs the bootloader and kexts that should allow booting of the system. I have a feeling that your problem is based on Legacy vs UEFI.

Try this:

1. Reformat your SSD with Mac HFS, Master Boot Record (this is Legacy)
2. If it's not already, remake HS Unibeast with HFS, MBR, Legacy as well
3. Apply Multibeast, making sure to select Legacy boot mode.

If you've already tried Legacy on everything, then I am out of ideas!

I did apply Multibeast to my SSD after booting from the USB installer and the SSD won't boot by itself.
Then I tried copying over the EFI Folder from the USB EFI to the SSD EFI partition and still no boot.
It did make me wonder if I could get the SSD to boot using the EFI folder copied from the USB installer if I would need to reinstall multibeast??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back