Graphics
?
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dell XPS 13 intel core i5 2467m intel hd 300 graphics. I have been lurking and reading for awhile now thought I would jump in. New iphone 5 inspired me to try to run OS X. I have seen a couple trys with this laptop being built. Each thread gets to a point and stops most have had issues with the wireless card. Anyone have more info if my compaitiablty is ok before I run out and buy a copy of OS X. Probably Mountain Lion it seems the easiest to obtain. Also since this a "ultra book" it has no cd drive. Should I get a thumb drive all setup with uniboot or multibeast I think it was called or a usb cd rom drive?

How would I get my OS X onto a thumb drive if I purchased it. I am sure there is a thread for this. Any tips would be great. I am not computer illiterate just never used OS X before and wanted to learn because of the growing popularity.

1 more little thing I want to dual boot windows 8 and OS X

Thanks -Cole

Well, I'm not an expert on pre-built machines, but to answer your second question, the app Unibeast, made by tonymac, is how you put Mountian Lion on a USB. On a real mac (hackintosh or not), download unibeast, download Mountian Lion App from App Store, Run Unibeast, *Set Bios, then boot from the usb, which has the bootloader on it allready, so you dont need a cd drive, and install, run Multibeast and go on from there :) Good luck! That laptop looks amazing and would be a cool hackbook pro!

*as I said, I am not an expert on prebuilt machines, usually its easier to build your own, so the installation process might....no, it will....be diffrent than the normal process. My advice, ask around and dont be afraid to mess up!

Hope I helped :)

Dell XPS 13 intel core i5 2467m intel hd 300 graphics. I have been lurking and reading for awhile now thought I would jump in. New iphone 5 inspired me to try to run OS X. I have seen a couple trys with this laptop being built. Each thread gets to a point and stops most have had issues with the wireless card. Anyone have more info if my compaitiablty is ok before I run out and buy a copy of OS X. Probably Mountain Lion it seems the easiest to obtain. Also since this a "ultra book" it has no cd drive. Should I get a thumb drive all setup with uniboot or multibeast I think it was called or a usb cd rom drive?

How would I get my OS X onto a thumb drive if I purchased it. I am sure there is a thread for this. Any tips would be great. I am not computer illiterate just never used OS X before and wanted to learn because of the growing popularity.
will this work for creating the bootable usb drive http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

1 more little thing I want to dual boot windows 8 and OS X

Thanks -Cole
You need access to a Mac (or a hack) to buy and download Mountain Lion so you can build the UniBeast USB (and no the method you linked will only work with a mac).
Follow this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Thanks guys! I just hope I don't have issue's and waste money haha I feel this will be a sweet hackintosh machine! My girlfriend has a macbook pro it made me want to turn mine into one. More like I want to out do her mac with mine and less cost :) if anyone has tried this with my machine jump in!

post install help

Before I go buy mountain lion I have a couple questions. If bought from a mac what will it download as? Also will the mac try to install the new update before I get to move it to my flash drive I am going to be following this to get my custom flash drive setup
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Also got a 16 gig sandisk for my setup. I also need uni beast and multi beast correct?

Also I do apologize for posting in desktop I never scrolled down far enough. Thought it was odd there was only a spot for desktops!

You dont need a real mac, just on any computer running osx, download ML from the appstore, then insert the flashdrive and run unibeast.

Multibeast is after the installation and is used to fix things that dont work (enthernet, sound, graphics) :)

haha that is the only thing running osx that I can get my hands on. I just don't want it stealing ml which I paid for, the mac doesn't belong to me. Thanks for explaining the difference as well for uni and multi feeling more confident to make the leap!

Well, to install ML, you need a unibeast flashdrive, which just copies the installation app and some other files to make the USB bootable. You can redownload the app, because it is under the purchases tab in the app store.

Ive whatched this about 20 times before doing the actual installation! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_xBYfpgi0

Good luck!

whats laptop and legacy support?

Well, to install ML, you need a unibeast flashdrive, which just copies the installation app and some other files to make the USB bootable. You can redownload the app, because it is under the purchases tab in the app store.

Ive whatched this about 20 times before doing the actual installation! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_xBYfpgi0

Good luck!
Awesome I have watched it, it seems easy but something like this I bet wont be. I kinda feel like I should try this on my desktop sense my laptop is my main computer for school and work or at least so I can run through the setup and know that I can keep my win 8 partition. I can't wait to try this just picked up my big flash drive today (I only had a 4 gig) its a 16 gig sandisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back