HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I upgraded my existing Hackintosh to a Haswell config with a GA-Z87X-UD5H MoBo (rev 8 bios) and I7-4770K uP. I am using my existing 256GByte SSD boot drive, NVIDA GeForce GT640 and 8 Meg of RAM in the build. The OS is at 10.9.2.

The system boots without any problems but then immediately freezes. I see my wallpaper and desktop items from the original build and have mouse functionality (using a BT mouse) to the extent I can move the cursor around but nothing else. Totally unresponsive.

Tried booting in the safe mode but get a KP. Any suggestions to fix the problem would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Try the usual, lower RAM frequency or increase voltage from 1.5v to 1.65v and test your RAM with MemtestOSX as RAM is the primary suspect in freezing, if not then it could be a number of other things .. Some report system definition ... network kext .. etc..

It could even be your BT mouse, try a wired mouse if all else fail...

If it helps. I have the a similar build here (z87x-ud5x, 4770K, 32Gb RAM). I had the exact problem once I updated to 10.9.2. It was completely stable with 10.9.1.

You might find some results when searching for freezing problems with z87 GA boards, but don't worry, those only apply to those using more than 2 sticks or ram at the same time, and has been solved with the latest beta bios f9a (which you could install btw) and an increase in SA voltage, IO digital and IO analogue by +0,2v.

I believe that the problem you are having is the same that many other have had once they updated to 10.9.2... instant freezing, cursor moves, sometimes audio will keep playing, no error messages.

It looks like Gigabyte has some Problems with there 87 Boards, i had a mini itx with 2 Slots and the same Problem. So had many other users, eventually they can solve it with a bios update or the board needs RMA ... The whole Forum has many reports about this Problem not only with 4 Ram Sticks :beachball: its a Problem spread over many Threads.

Same components run fine on a Asus Board ... on the H87n i have freezes every 4 hours and a bad sleep mode.

Tried playing with the voltage setting but no go. Bios beta 9A? Where did you find this? The few sites I looked only showed released version f8 which I have installed.

Cheers,

Mike

MyNewRig - tried various RAM voltage and frequency settings but no go. Also, removed my BT dongle and used a wired mouse but with no effect.

Cheers,

Mike

@OP:

I had the same problems after updating to 10.9.2. I just reverted back to 10.9.1, and my system is stable. I don't know what is going on, but since I only use my system for HTPC and Garageband purposes, I will leave it at 10.9.1.

Hopefully, there will be a fix in the future.

Don't know about 10.9.1 but I originally had 10.9 on my boot drive and encountered the problem I am now trying to fix. I thought that maybe the latest release, 10.9.2, might offer a fix. I installed 10.9.2 on my boot drive but that didn't have any effect.

Cheers,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back