3770k OC @ 4.5GHz
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I had never really the chance to test the performance of my new Hackintosh, I just used Pixelmator 2 which was a bit slow, but that is because of the bug with the 64bit version (i hope they will fix it soon). I am still waiting for Lightworks for Mac, then i can test the video editing performance.

But now i just wanted to view a 14MB PDF in Full view. It is a map. Well.. It really shocked me that i couldn't view it smooth. It takes a bit to zoom in and then with the hand it is really laggy.
Well I think this really shouldn't be, since it can't really need much performance to view a map in .pdf. My GeekBench score was about 9900, which is pretty good i think.

I am just wondering is my system not able to reach it's full performance? Because i think view a 14MB pdf should run pretty smooth. Can anyone help me find out whats wrong? Just ask me to get more information of my system.

CPU: 2500k (no OC)
GPU: Sapphire 6850 1GB
MB: GA Z68AP-D3
RAM: 16GB 1333MHz (4x4)
Monitor: Dell U2711 (2560x1440)

Don't think it the computer. It slows down on mine too. Pretty sure a 14mb PDF that you want to scroll around is going to be choppy on any computer. It basically has to refresh everytime you are moving it around. A SSD might help with the problem.

Are you using GraphicsEnabler=Yes? If not, that would explain your slow rendering speed (it actually sounds like software rendering to me).

Your Geekbench score is also too low. With your machine it should be in the 12k range or so. A missing 3d-acceleration would point to that, too.

Please open Terminal, type ioreg | grep ATY and post the result as "Code", please.

P.S.: No rendering speed problem on my system. As smooth as under Windows.

P.S.2: If you originally meant that he needs to reload parts for about 2secs or so of the map when you zoom in and move around inside the map, that's pretty much normal.

jimbo75 said:
Yes I did. First i got just 5000 points at GeekBench but after installing the SSDT it doubled itself.
Can anyone with a similar system or stronger try that PDF? And look how the performance is? I just found out that it is with vectors. No images. Maybe this is the reason?

Here is the map, a simple pdf: http://www.interrailnet.com/sites/a.../downloads/2012/interrail-railwaymap-2012.pdf

I just downloaded the file and it works perfectly smoothly on my machine. I agree with Shibirian I think your Geekbench score is a bit low.

My machine albeit with a i7-2600k Geekbenches around 13,000 with no overclock.
With the overclock its 16750 approx.

I might be wrong but I would have thought the i5 would be a bit closer to the i7 when neither is overclocked.

In "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" it says that GraphicsEnabler is "Yes".

Here are the results when i type "ioreg | grep ATY" in the terminal (i just copied it into the terminal):
Code:
| |   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000259, registere$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000025a, registere$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000025b, registere$
| |   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000025c, registere$

It doesn't refresh/refresh the map. It just takes 1-2 sec's to move the picture with the hand or to scroll

BigDubbe said:
Don't think it the computer. It slows down on mine too. Pretty sure a 14mb PDF that you want to scroll around is going to be choppy on any computer. It basically has to refresh everytime you are moving it around. A SSD might help with the problem.

I opened the file on my MacBook Pro (2.66ghz i7) with SSD... It was VERY choppy and laggy to scroll around in Preview. I don't think it's your computer.

Suggestions for me as well.. I'm only getting @ 2500 scores on my i5 that is OC'd to 4.5Ghz. Using a GA-Z68 board, 8gb Ram, and the DSDT for my board and correct bios version. Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I have everything working perfect USB/1394/Video, but the scores for CPU seems to be way low. Not sure where the problem is at this point. Any suggestions?

Trying not to hijack thread, but i have similar issue. you can see the first few scores are mine. Waaaaay tooo low.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbenc ... .6.8+2500k

I don't think it's a problem with the memory. I have an Crucial M4 and 16GB RAM. It must be the GPU or CPU.

Just tested the file on my old laptop (Dual Core 2.5Ghz, 9500m Nvidia, 4GB RAM). It works even smoother than on my Hackintosh! It refreshes but scrolling works smoother. There must be something wrong.

@peetsjunkie I'm on Lion. There you can install a SSDT which enables i5 to get above 1.6GHz. Maybe in SL has been such an update too? But I think we don't have a similar issue. You should be at least 10.000 points higher with your score. There must be something really fundamental not working in your system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back