2. Classic
  3. Color Classic
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am just in the process of building a Hackintosh - I will be booting MacOS 10.15.7 first before eventually going to MacOS12 - later down the road. I am fully aware that the Intel graphics on this processor are not compatible yet with Apple. I will be using a GTX Titan as that graphics card is fully supported by MacOS 10.15.x. When I do make the switch I will be going the AMD graphics route, possibly the 6900XT...
I am in need of the Bios settings for the Maximus XIII board as I seem to be hitting a wall with the bios settings. I tried using open core on a new USB thumb drive install, but the GRUB fails to load. I have tried a variety of settings but still can't get the thumb drive to boot into the grub menu. It goes to windows directly, even after I select boot from USB / boot other os in the the secure boot menu.

Any suggestions?

Help please.

Anyone have bios screenshots to share?

Thank you

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am just in the process of building a Hackintosh - I will be booting MacOS 10.15.7 first before eventually going to MacOS12 - later down the road. I am fully aware that the Intel graphics on this processor are not compatible yet with Apple. I will be using a GTX Titan as that graphics card is fully supported by MacOS 10.15.x. When I do make the switch I will be going the AMD graphics route, possibly the 6900XT...
I am in need of the Bios settings for the Maximus XIII board as I seem to be hitting a wall with the bios settings. I tried using open core on a new USB thumb drive install, but the GRUB fails to load. I have tried a variety of settings but still can't get the thumb drive to boot into the grub menu. It goes to windows directly, even after I select boot from USB / boot other os in the the secure boot menu.

Any suggestions?

Help please.

Thank you
Hi there,

You're trying to boot into GRUB? Sorry, Opencore isn't going to do that as it has its own bootloader.
As for the settings, you could maybe try to refer to my Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Core i9 11900K build here for tips > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-xtreme-core-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

as well as my Asus Z370-P build here for BIOS settings > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sung-1tb-960-evo-nvme-nvidia-gtx-1050.249402/

Unfortunately it is not booting because it seems you haven't disabled Windows Secure Boot. You will need to disable it for the UEFI to be recognised with the bootloader.

For the Nvidia Titan card to be recognised you will also need to make sure the boot-arg nvda_drv=vrl1 has been set or added as a boot-arg in the NVRAM and the corresponding device-ids added into the device properties of Opencore's config.plist.

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GTX Titan (Black)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. Color Classic
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
No, I used the wrong term... The boot selector that is supposed to show doesn't with Opencore. Just goes back to UEFI screen even with secure boot disabled. I can get the files to load under clover, however. Very strange.

Going to try again. Pictures coming soon.

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GTX Titan (Black)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. Color Classic
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
20211017_121117.jpg
20211018_222422.jpg

because I can't see the boot menu in OpenCore I tried using the clover bootloader. Clover has always worked regardless of the settings. Anyways twice booted with 2 completely different outputs. I have an EFI that was available for download that other people were having success with. I can't get opencore to boot on its own, I have to force it with clover. Nothing has worked. I have tried many different kexts and board settings.
hmm... not sure what to do.

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please follow my guide here. I use Opencore on my build and it is working with 11900K. as well as Nvidia (on High Sierra and beyond with Big Sur). > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

Please read the guide above carefully. Because I hate having to keep repeating myself.

Now to your problems.

First thing to understand is you cannot rely entirely on Clover, because things change. Software and hardware gets updated, and certain functions that were there in the past are no longer. Since High Sierra, Apple has made access to the memory management a lot harder for the Clover folk to get a useable system - which is why most have moved development over to Opencore instead which uses a structure much closer to macOS actual coding. Clover is still in development but not as actively as OC. Catalina is a very difficult beast for Clover to boot with which is why I moved it over to Opencore for my Z490 build.

If you want to boot with Opencore I suggest you should remove the Clover folder entirely from your EFI folder - OC is a completely different build (having almost bi-monthly builds) and mixing them together is a definitely a no-no (because OC requires update of the EFI/Boot folder with each version).

Also the OC Schema listings is actually showing you what is missing from your OC config.plist. That is why it is not booting.

You should update OC's parts accordingly and will need to download the most vital kexts according to their date-stamp which should/must match the same date as the OC release. ie. Lilu/Whatevergreen/VirtualSMC/AppleALC.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 570
Clover works perfectly well. I've had a Catalina install using clover since beta of 10.15. So I am not sure why you are staying it has problems.
I still use Clover right now and have a Quintuple boot system with 4 MacOS installs and 1 windows 10 install. MacOS 12 I just installed today with 5141 version of Clover which isn't even the latest.

Now not sure about this users hardware but they should be able to do a basic install which would be just Clover + either VirtualSMC or FakeSMC. Just use Clovers default config to start.

As for BIOS setting they are covered in most of the guides, usually reset to optimized defaults and switch off a couple of settings.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
W5700 Pro
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Any suggestions?

Help please.

Thank you
You could start an OpenCore build using this Hero VIII 10900K EFI as a baseline. This OC 0.7.5 EFI which I know works with 11.5+ and 12.0.1. It might work with earlier macOS if adjustment is made for i225v Ethernet. I've never run anything earlier than Big Sur on my kit.

This build is very close to stock Apple iMac20,2 HW per AMD W5700 and it's solid. Maybe it can tolerate 11900 in place of 10900 with minimal adjustment?

I never got sleep fixed mostly likely due to BT add-on card but I dotted all the i's and crossed the t's on power and other config.

See the included graphic for USB assignments.

Follow Dortania Guide for Comet Lake to make adjustments as needed.

For BIOS, just ensure you can boot from GPT. I can't look at my BIOS config right now but if you follow Dortania Guide recommendations — well, that's what I did. Maybe completely disable the iGPU. Stick with stock BIOS to get started except for boot options.

HTH