Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Hi All,

I have previously successfully deployed this machine as a Hackintosh - I'm fairly sure it was running El Capitan although cannot be sure. I returned to the PC platform as I had upgraded the 780 Ti to a 2080 super for video work but I will soon be upgrading the CPU to a Ryzen 7 and x570 chipset mobo.

I will therefore be left with my old Hackintosh hardware which I would like to build into a new tower and Ideally run Catalina.

The full system specs are currently:

i7 4790k
Asus Maximus Hero VII z97 1150 socket
Gtx 780 Ti
16GB DDR3
SATA SSDs

I want to create the most stable platform possible as I am planning to use this as my main music workstation (replacing my tired 2015 MacBook pro which this build used to run circles around). I still have the successful old Hackintoshssssss boot SSD which I imagine I will be able to transplant into the new tower along with the old hardware it initially ran on and boot up my old system. From there I can rescue any old music files to backup before performing the update.

Now I have 3 main questions before embarking on this project:

1. My Old Hackintosh would periodically crash with a kernel panic - it wasn't often enough for me to bother fixing to my shame and autosave always had my back - however, I would like to "do things properly" if possible this time. I seemed to have a few issues with USB bandwidth which I suspected could be part of the problem - Also when booting the machine if it was powered down - I had to ensure all USB hard drives were unplugged - Are these usual problems or have I messed something up?
2. given the above would you recommend a fresh install of Catalina as if this were a new build - or would it be better to upgrade the OS from whichever it currently is (10.10,11,12 or 13) to 10.14?
3. I would like to upgrade the amount of RAM in the machine to 32gb which I believe is the maximum supported by the z97 platform. Should this be fine and which speeds/kits would you recommend?

I plan to undertake this project over the next few months. I am interested in solving a lot of the niggles I experienced previously while deploying a Hackintosh. I am not so desperate for iMessage, facetime to work in particular, however, I would like to get Bluetooth working to use a magic trackpad and keyboard if possible.

I appreciate that I may need to lean on the collective experience of this forum's members and would like to thank you all in advance.

Many thanks,

K

Follow this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/ A clean install to a new SSD is best in my opinion.

The additional step you'll need is to create your USB port map to have properly working USB.

These are good ram kits for Haswell systems. Timetec/Hynix the brand of ram that Apple uses for Intel Macs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IV19HZE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Screen Shot 35.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back