Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. This is my first post. My name is Michael Carrillo (aka Hexspa) and I've been lurking here for a few weeks.

I currently have a 6,2 Mac Mini running OSX 10.8.5 with a 2.3GHz i7 and 8GB RAM.

I've been inspired to build my first Hackintosh. I've got a vision on which I'm hoping to receive feedback and guidance. My main current needs are stability, 1080 video editing, music production and decent performance.

Although my current computer does all those things I'm dreaming of 6000/20000 Geekbench (double that of my current system), at least 4k resolution (ideally 5k) with the option of editing 4k video and quick storage scores like those achieved by PastryChef and Stork. Though I understand that m.2 isn't natively supported as a boot drive, it's part of my Hackintosh fantasy. I've come up with the three following possible scenarios:

1. Go 7700k and Z270 and wait for Apple's support.
2. Follow PastryChef and Stork and go for the gold(en build).
3. Immediately start working on a P55 system I have laying around doing nothing in order to gain experience:
Intel P55WB
i7 860
32GB Vengeance LP
XFX 9800GT
WD Green 1TB
Antec True Power 550w

In the third case I understand that obtaining a Snow Leopard install disc is the first step. It looks like Mavericks will be the latest OS I'll be able to install. Will I be able to update to 10.9 through the App store given that Sierra is most current? Also, if that's a viable hardware configuration, should I keep the 9800GT or purchase a graphics solution suggested in the 2010 Lynnfield Buyer's Guide such as the GT 240?

In the second case, could I just begin installation with integrated graphics and upgrade to dedicated graphics such as the 980ti later without too much hassle?

I hope that was clear. Basically this will be the second computer I build or modify (with the exception of RAM installation). I would ideally use the latest hardware and double my Mac Mini's current performance but, short of that, I'm eager to get started and would happily enjoy the tried-and-true efforts of Stork and PastryChef.

Thanks,

-m

Last edited:
I think I'm able to answer my own question:

1. Kaby Lake works but, being new hardware, it's not as thoroughly tested.
2. Following golden builds on a Z170 system is probably the best place to start.
3. Might be more difficult to do a P55 build but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to start getting involved in the discussion. I'll be sure to post my progress.

-m

This is my component list:

Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII
Intel i7 6700K
Noctua NH-D15
G.Skill Ripjaws 2X8 DDR4-2400
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Glass
Dell P2715Q​

It's missing the BCM94360CD / Fenvi T919(A) since it wasn't an available selection.
I'll also need a 16GB USB 2.0 drive
and eventually a UPS

Once I can afford it, I'll be attempting this build using integrated graphics and a 1080p monitor with the intent of upgrading later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back