Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z390M-Pro TUF Gaming
CPU
i5-9400
Graphics
RX 5600 xt
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me fix this. First time I've ever had to deal with this issue on a Hack. I've got 16GB (2x8GB) of Crucial DDR4 RAM in my system but my Hack is only seeing them as 2x4GB so it's reporting only 8GB total. My BIOS Sees all 16GB, 2x8GB stick, though it's running at 2133 instead of 2400. Haven't found any XMP settings in the BIOS.

The ram is Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 BLS2C8G4D240FSB.
Mobo: Gigabyte B150M-DS3H
CPU: Core i5-6500

Any ideas?

PS: Also, Activity Monitor says: "Physical Memory: 8.00GB" so this isn't just a cosmetic thing.

Attachments

• Silver Streak RAM.jpg
    Silver Streak RAM.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me fix this. First time I've ever had to deal with this issue on a Hack. I've got 16GB (2x8GB) of Crucial DDR4 RAM in my system but my Hack is only seeing them as 2x4GB so it's reporting only 8GB total. My BIOS Sees all 16GB, 2x8GB stick, though it's running at 2133 instead of 2400. Haven't found any XMP settings in the BIOS.

The ram is Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 BLS2C8G4D240FSB.
Mobo: Gigabyte B150M-DS3H
CPU: Core i5-6500

Any ideas?

PS: Also, Activity Monitor says: "Physical Memory: 8.00GB" so this isn't just a cosmetic thing.

Do you have the RAM in adjacent slots (alternating colors) or in alternating slots (same colors)? Because with most motherboards, RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs in alternating slots (i.e. slots 0 & 2 or slots 1 & 3).

Do you have the RAM in adjacent slots (alternating colors) or in alternating slots (same colors)? Because with most motherboards, RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs in alternating slots (i.e. slots 0 & 2 or slots 1 & 3).
I don't think that's the problem. I tried both ways & El Cap is still seeing only 4GB per stick. When I go into the BIOS, channel A shows 8GB, Channel B shows 8GB. Thanks.

Also, it's 2400MHz RAM but BIOS only reports 2133. I can slow it down in the BIOS, but can't get it up to 2400MHz. Probably a limitation of this mobo's BIOS/chipset?

I tried the RAM in the other channel/slots & still the same issue.

Last edited:
OK, that was weird. It must've been a BIOS setting. I pretty much changed every RAM-related BIOS setting I could find & changed it to either Auto or Normal & now El Cap is seeing both stick at 8GB, even reporting the same speed as the BIOS at 2133. Has anyone ever hear of this kind of issue? I can't remember what the exact wording is of the option, but some kind of "Turbo" or "accelerated mode" for the RAM.

OK, that was weird. It must've been a BIOS setting. I pretty much changed every RAM-related BIOS setting I could find & changed it to either Auto or Normal & now El Cap is seeing both stick at 8GB, even reporting the same speed as the BIOS at 2133. Has anyone ever hear of this kind of issue? I can't remember what the exact wording is of the option, but some kind of "Turbo" or "accelerated mode" for the RAM.

Was it XMP? Sometimes it just doesn't work with a particular motherboard/RAM combination. Anyway, glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back