Contribute
Register

New graphic card for DaVinci Resolve, old hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GeForce GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,
I am starting my first video edits with DaVinci Resolve 15.3. As soon as I add some basic effects, like cross fades and text tracks it slows dramatically, so I guess my little graphic card cannot cope.
Is there a good option to replace my GeForce GT 710 with something (possibly very quiet, as my main use of the computer is for audio) that will work OBO and won't force me to buy new video monitors? Currently I have two Apple Cinema Display, with DVI connector.
Many thanks.

If you have a 500W PSU or better get one of these:

Currently best AMD graphics deal you will find. Use two DP to DVI adapters for your monitors.

These are 'END OF LIFE' in Europe - so get them while you can, one of the best value working GPU cards available today. We don't know when a replacement AMD/Nvidia macOS compatible card will work as well in macOS will be available.

These are 'END OF LIFE' in Europe - so get them while you can, one of the best value working GPU cards available today. We don't know when a replacement AMD/Nvidia macOS compatible card will work as well in macOS will be available.

One thing to consider is the h264, h265 capabilities. Older CPUs may not have the proper instruction sets or ability to render video in some apps with RX 500 series in Mojave. There may be some improvements lately though. Check this thread to see some of the issues.

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

One thing to consider is the h264, h265 capabilities. Older CPUs may not have the proper instruction sets or ability to render video in some apps with RX 500 series in Mojave. There may be some improvements lately though. Check this thread to see some of the issues.

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW
What about installing 10.13.6 and then the HD3000 IGPU of the 2700K could work in headless mode. Would that be one possible solution ?

At the moment I am still running OSX 10.12.6 and not planning to upgrade soon as it is quite stable and my software and plugins works well.
Will it work OBO with my set-up?

Also, I can find some variants:
1255Mhz
1355Mhz
then XFX and MSI have the 8GB variant.
Are they the same or shall I stick to the Gigabyte?
Thanks.

Last edited:
At the moment I am still running OSX 10.12.6 and not planning to upgrade soon as it is quite stable and my software and plugins works well.
Will it work OBO with my set-up?

Yes, it should be fine, Mojave messed with the Polaris cards so Sierra and High sierra are both fine though.
You may need lilukext and whatevergreenkext to make everything work out well. Those are recommended for all graphics cards these days for Sierra-Mojave.

What about installing 10.13.6 and then the HD3000 IGPU of the 2700K could work in headless mode. Would that be one possible solution ?

Yes, just Mojave has the issue, but the latest beta may have solved it or at least somewhat. HS is a good choice and is the last HD3000 option as well.

Ok,
I just got this deal on fleabay:

I hope is the right one!
:)
Thanks.

lilukext and whatevergreenkext
Thanks for the advice, would you be so kind to link where I can find them and the process to install them, please?
Thanks.

----
Found them here:

----

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back