I'm Ignoring
Graphics
Forum Rules !!!!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I'm running my hack (signature) since 2012 with barely any issues. I've also only touched my hackintosh's config when I switched to Clover prior to upgrading to 10.13 (from 10.11). It's been a smooth ride for me for 6 years now.
Long story short: my hardware experience is limited and I have never fiddled around much with my config (never touch a running system) so my knowledge in this regard is limited.

However, I'd like to connect my hackintosh to a 4K TV set. For this I need a 4K-capable GPU. In light of the recently announced new nVidia releases I thought I can get a cheap 1060/1050Ti.
But will such a new card work on my old motherboard/CPU/old hack in general? Is there anything I should know/advice?

Thanks a lot!

Hi there,

I'm running my hack (signature) since 2012 with barely any issues. I've also only touched my hackintosh's config when I switched to Clover prior to upgrading to 10.13 (from 10.11). It's been a smooth ride for me for 6 years now.

Long story short: my hardware experience is limited and I have never fiddled around much with my config (never touch a running system) so my knowledge in this regard is limited.

However, I'd like to connect my hackintosh to a 4K TV set. For this I need a 4K-capable GPU. In light of the recently announced new nVidia releases I thought I can get a cheap 1060/1050Ti.

But will such a new card work on my old motherboard/CPU/old hack in general? Is there anything I should know/advice?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, the 1060 / 1050 Ti will work with your motherboard and CPU, but they will require MacOS Sierra or High Sierra as the drivers required are only available for Sierra and High Sierra.

You may also consider a RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580. These cards are now natively supported in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and above. No extra drivers required, unlike the Nvidia cards.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I'm currently looking through the forums a bit and it seems like nVidia GPUs seem to be a little troublesome, frequently requiring config edits and such things? Coming from a flawless AMD experience this feels a bit cumbersome.

Also wondering because of the nvidia web drivers that have to be updated after every OS update. Is this possible without a second GPU? My i7 3770K iGPU is not supported by OSX, so in case an nVidia GPU is unusable until new web drivers are installed I'd need a backup GPU for each update. Is that correct or do I get it wrong?

I've also read about HDMI 2.0 issues with 1060 cards in hackintoshes which would be a deal breaker for me (as 1.4 supports 4K only at 24Hz). Will need to search more regarding this...

Thank you!

I'm currently looking through the forums a bit and it seems like nVidia GPUs seem to be a little troublesome, frequently requiring config edits and such things? Coming from a flawless AMD experience this feels a bit cumbersome.

Also wondering because of the nvidia web drivers that have to be updated after every OS update. Is this possible without a second GPU? My i7 3770K iGPU is not supported by OSX, so in case an nVidia GPU is unusable until new web drivers are installed I'd need a backup GPU for each update. Is that correct or do I get it wrong?

I've also read about HDMI 2.0 issues with 1060 cards in hackintoshes which would be a deal breaker for me (as 1.4 supports 4K only at 24Hz). Will need to search more regarding this...

The HD4000 CPU graphics of the 3770K is supported in MacOS, but it may not work correctly with a 4K display. Since you want to use a 4K display, it is correct to get a more modern GPU capable of supporting 4K displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back