Contribute
Register

New Gigabyte Z370N - no more WiFi support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the BCM94360CS2 and M.2 adapter fits inside the module? The module seems small, I'm still hesitating between BCM94360CS2 and BCM94352Z.

Thanks
I have been using the Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming for a couple of Hacintosh projects (Coffee Lake) and I specially like the ASUS overclocking wizzard. But since the Gigabyte Z370n WIFI is almost $100 cheaper here in Norway I have started using it for my new projects. For WIFI/BT I have had success with DELL-1820a but everything is so much easier with a native card. And Gigabyte seems so easy to setup. I also did a build GA-H270N-WIFI with a i7-7700k that is rock solid.

Here I have attached some pictures with the BCM94360CS2 and a NGFF adapter. I get AC speed native. No fuss.
Notice that you can not put back the cover on the wifi module sine it now builds 15mm above the baseline. I had a problem with this when using a Fractal Design Core 500 because the card will bump into the rear fan. I had to change the rear fan from 14" to a 12" fan.

Use the original padding on the connector so it stays secure. See the picture. I also put kapton tape on the lower connector just to make sure there is no contact with the screw hole.

##UPDATE##
I noticed that the antenna cables on the Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI are longer than on the ASUS ROG Z370N and the ASROCK Z370. So no problem attaching them to the new card even if it is taller. Another reason to go Gigabyte :)

0_under_board.jpg 1_use_kapton.jpg 2_attach_adapter.jpg 3_insert_card.jpg 4_use_original_pad.jpg 5_installed.jpg 6_installed.jpg 7_15mm_extra.jpg 8_rear_view.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @asleb for your detailed answer, helped a lot, I've just ordered the same card ;)

I am happy if this can be of help! I have used the DW1802A for a couple of builds and of course it is nice since it does not build the 15mm extra height, you can close the cover and don't have the problem with bumping into the rear fan on some cases (Like the Fractal Design Core 500 that I like so much). Still there is some tweaking to do to get that card to work while the BCM94360CS2 just works.

Now there are only 2 antennas standard on these mother boards but I wonder if there is much to gain in using e.g. a iMac wifi/bt board with 4 antennas. You could just use external antennas through the 2 holes. Or internal strips. Anyone have any experience with that?

Also to mention that the extra height for the card and adapter is no problem with some Z270 mother boards like the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI where the card comes clear of the rear fan.

Nice build.
I am thinking to do the same with Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI and BCM94360CS2 with NGFF adapter, but as my case (http://modivio.com/xcase-l/) is not here yet, I need to know the exact hight above the baseline.
I wonder if it is possible to tell me the total hight from the motherboards base.
I thank you in advance

Wow @nextsak that was a nice case :) I think I wrote here or some place else that the NGFF adapter and the MBA wifi card builds 15mm above the baseline of the motherboard. I measure 47mm from bottom of the motherboard.Meaning 10mm higher than the backplate. I doubt your case will manage that but you can measure it. I had some problems with Fractal Design Core 500 where I had to replace the 140mm back fan with a 120mm because the wifi card bumped into the fan. I know there is a adapter cable used to connect to the NGFF slot so you could have your card positioned some place else. I am not sure but you could search for "NGFF extension cable" or "pci e to ngff extension cable". I was not able to find it. Besides this I have used the DW1902a (or something better like Azure) card that replaces the Intel card with the same size. It works also but was a big job getting it to work. With the BCM94360CS2 it works out of the box.

I also am waiting for a cool case from http://www.louqe.com/ and hope to build a quiet PC, although not fanless.

##UPDATE##
I think I have found what may work for extending the pci-e slot. It is called PCI-E 1X . I found one searching for "pci-e 1x" on Ebay. It should work so that you can just extend the slot and attach the Apple wifi card with adapter some other place without that extra height.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your trouble. I will be back!

Hello, I'm a bit new to hackintoshing, and I want to replace the current WiFi card in my motherboard, Gigabyte H370N-WiFi, with a Broadcom one. However, I'm not sure what kind of screwdriver I need to remove the current WiFi card. I have tried a regular Phillips screwdriver that I used while building my machine and many other screwdrivers, but the screws won't turn.

Hello, I'm a bit new to hackintoshing, and I want to replace the current WiFi card in my motherboard, Gigabyte H370N-WiFi, with a Broadcom one. However, I'm not sure what kind of screwdriver I need to remove the current WiFi card. I have tried a regular Phillips screwdriver that I used while building my machine and many other screwdrivers, but the screws won't turn.
You need a phillips 000 or at least 00 since the slots in the screws are very thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back