Contribute
Register

New Framework Laptop as a potential Hackintosh machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
framework "main_board"
CPU
i7 1165g7
Graphics
Iris xe
Hi Hackintosh community :) I don't have much experience as I've only 'toshed one lenovo once, But I'm Always interested in the possibilities. Does anyone think the new Framework laptop could be an ideal platform for a hackintosh? https://frame.work/
- seems like it has the right components, also it has seemingly flexible wifi compatibility so is this the perfect repairable replacement for a mac?
Interested to read everyone's thoughts :)

Hi Hackintosh community :) I don't have much experience as I've only 'toshed one lenovo once, But I'm Always interested in the possibilities. Does anyone think the new Framework laptop could be an ideal platform for a hackintosh? https://frame.work/
- seems like it has the right components, also it has seemingly flexible wifi compatibility so is this the perfect repairable replacement for a mac?
Interested to read everyone's thoughts :)

Assuming your post is not just advertising spam ...

No, not really suitable hardware. No support for 11th gen Intel CPUs, especially the iGPUs.

No support for 11th gen Intel CPUs, especially the iGPUs.
It would make a good Windows 11 laptop. Quite easy to "skin" it to make it look like macOS Big Sur or Monterey but even then, it's still Windows with all it's many downsides.

Assuming your post is not just advertising spam ...

No, not really suitable hardware. No support for 11th gen Intel CPUs, especially the iGPUs.
not spam, just a novice lol. And oh I didn't know that about 11th gen. that's a shame it would be amazing to have a really future proof laptop that could be 'toshed.

It would make a good Windows 11 laptop. Quite easy to "skin" it to make it look like macOS Big Sur or Monterey but even then, it's still Windows with all it's many downsides.
Yeah, no doubt. I already have a t420 tho which I think I could 'tosh (confusingly not "the one lenovo I 'toshed once") so I'll just keep that as long as possible bc the whole point of something like the framework is to preserve the life of laptops. Plus I do really like my t420

not spam, just a novice lol. And oh I didn't know that about 11th gen. that's a shame it would be amazing to have a really future proof laptop that could be 'toshed.

No problem. It was just the username you had chosen seemed to point that way. :)

It is possible, and you would get pretty much everything supported. Until intel makes a MacBook with intel 11th gen, you can't get iGPU acceleration. Either use an eGPU, or wait.

I am mystified by the Framework product, as a product. It's one cool trait is that you can not know what you need capacity-wise and keep cobbling increases, which is a more expensive way to go in long run, but lets you sort if finance the end result. It's a totally anachronistic idea that made sense 25 years ago, except that every module and interface has evolved by a factor of 10–100x since, so even if you can swap modules you are lost to history. If you are a big organization, you have a nightmare of parts bins where the most likely reason for desiring replaceability is failure caused at the module interface. Don't think for a second that the industry hasn't studied this and Apple's unitized designs are better precisely for reliability. The Framework approach builds in a bunch of delicate edges for failure! Combine this thinking with the observation that Framework modules are really only likely to be offered by Framework Co. and the company is never likely to gain the momentum to upkeep between generations, and amplify this point with the observation that today the only prospect for innovation in PC power is at the silicon level, with corresponding spreads and increments to all internal interfaces, and AppleSi looks like the sanest and most future-aware architecture.

I see the most telling trait of modularity vs packaging to be Apple holding the line on mac unit retail prices in current dollars, while the inflation eats away at dollars trade value and tech advances progress but orders of magnitude.

The Franework story fails to account for the basic laws of PC progress to espouse a wholly contrived idea of modularity catering to tech users who don't know what they need and/or are too cash strapped to care. Today's PC industry emerged by catering to the former and grifting the latter.

My thinking may suffer from some horrendous gap, but I'm pretty sure the Framework is just a marginal experiment in packaging funded by an investor class that doesn't understand the technology and harnessing a surplus of Chinese manufacturing talent and capacity. If something cool happens from it, it will be by virtue of something other than its design premise.

It might nonetheless be "fun".

Cost conserving buyers should prolly get a Mac, and add a bit for a storage upgrade because Apple notoriously grossly underprovisions hard drives in all base models. AppleSi and NVMe SSDs make hazard of RAM capacity limits a thing of past for all but the most demanding workloads.

Please debunk me!

I'm exploring options for the Framework laptop because all of the comments from c-o-pr are missing a key point. In reality, nearly all of the core components of a modern computer ARE modular. SOC-style designs. In reality, it's never been technically easier to make a modular portable. Apple's Lombard/Pismo models were the inspiration for the framework, and some of those engineers launched this approach. The Pismo was GREAT.

The main reason to NOT be modular is not China manufacturing, it's the business model of hardware vendors that want you to upgrade every few years.

In reality, the main connections are RAM, SSD, the display, keyboard and trackpad. And 4 USBC/TB interfaces for power and I/O. Last time I checked, all but the last ones were replaceable by an HP or Dell service provider.

The framework laptop is really a portable machine with some of the same upgrade options that a desktop mini tower has. Except you can pick it up and use as a nice laptop with all-day battery life, too.

I'm posting here as a return-to-hackintosh user. I have built and used innovative solutions (many from this board) ever since Mac OSX 10.5. I stopped making them for work a few years ago when work IT/IS refused to certify. But I happen to have all of the hardware coming - including an eGPU - that could be used to try a framework build for a personal project. I was going to dual boot it for other reasons, would be fun to see about a mac os build. In reality, might just be best to skin windows, or run one of the mac-inspired linux builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back