Contribute
Register

New Fan Control DSDT - for silent fan at higher temps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just remembered what this is. It is from ACPISensors.kext, method TSYS. 04b_FanQuietMod.txt has debugging still enabled, since it is still a work in progress (see comment at top). You will see these two methods in the patch:

Code:
	Method (TCPP, 0, Serialized)  // Average temp\n
	{\n
		Store (FNUM, Local0)\n
		if (LNotEqual (Local0, 0))\n
		{\n
			Store (FSUM, Local1)\n
			Divide (Local1, Local0,, Local0)\n
		}\n
		Return (Local0)\n
	}\n
	Method (TSYS, 0, Serialized)  // fan counter\n
	{\n
		Return (FCNT)\n
	}\n

TSYS: Returns the FCNT (fan counter)
TCPP: Returns average CPU temperature (FSUM/FNUM)

On my machine I have a special version of HwMonitor that displays these with better labels. It uses the localization facilities in Cocoa framework to simply map the english strings normally displayed to different string. You can see those files in the HwMonitor.app/Contents/Resources folder.

Do you mind if i create a patch "4c" for small changes (4b with the fan bytes posted in the graph but minus the quoted functions), and post it here? or would you incorporate it into your repo?

@ customac: just for the protocol: your changes were for a 4x40s or 4x30s?
and yes, my 4740s' fan is very quiet. I just want to tinker. :) Also the physiological response is interesting -- few but noticeable noise changes versus many small ones thay may not be noticed. After a few hours I tend to prefer the latter. EDIT: But I'm very biased, hence the question if this is of interest for others.

@ customac: just for the protocol: your changes were for a 4x40s or 4x30s?
and yes, my 4740s' fan is very quiet. I just want to tinker. :) Also the physiological response is interesting -- few but noticeable noise changes versus many small ones thay may not be noticed. After a few hours I tend to prefer the latter. EDIT: But I'm very biased, hence the question if this is of interest for others.

I did it for both 4x30s and 4x40s. But now I only have 4x40s.

Do you mind if i create a patch "4c" for small changes (4b with the fan bytes posted in the graph but minus the quoted functions), and post it here? or would you incorporate it into your repo?

I don't mind if you share your ideas...

Ok, lets give it a public try.

View attachment 04c_FanSmooth_beta_1.txt

The attached patch "04c_FanSmooth_beta_1.txt" keeps the differences between fan speed steps small, so changes in fan noise are unobtrusive. This is done for the lower temperatures where most people usually work; in higher temperatures the speed steps are greater so the machine won't heat up so fast.
FanMod4cBeta1.png

I tested this patch with a script to give some defined-ish load to the cpu, and for the top load also with prime95 torture test, and recorded the sensor readings. Temperature never exceeded 72°C under max load, and the fan only got noisy when its action was really needed.
TempFan4cBeta1.png

RehabMan: I left some lines in the patch that look like debug material -- are they safe to delete?
Code:
// commented out: just for debugging and experimenting\n
// monitoring additional temperatures\n
Method (TDIM, 0, Serialized) // GFXZ temp\n
{\n
Return (Divide (Subtract (\_TZ.GFXZ._TMP, 2732), 10))\n
}\n
    \n
*/\n

A BIG thanks to RehabMan who provided the knowledge and, in the form of patch 4b, the template!

dg

hello all, i try to patch dsdt to enable Fan Speed Control but i don't successfully. Everybody, can help me or make me a guild?
my laptop is Dell Latitude E6410.
Here my dsdt.aml:

Attachments

• DSDTE6410.aml.zip
    16.4 KB · Views: 103
hello all, i try to patch dsdt to enable Fan Speed Control but i don't successfully. Everybody, can help me or make me a guild?
my laptop is Dell Latitude E6410.
Here my dsdt.aml:

This is only for HP ProBook. Each laptop family generally uses different fan control techniques and you may not even be able to figure it out.

If you find a fan control program on Windows (with source code) you can use the clues within to implement a similar capability as I did.

Hi. Does it work on HP ProBook 4520s ?

Don't know. You would have to play around in RW-Everything to determine if your fan controls are at the same places in the EC and that the behavior is the same.

I have been playing with it already and it's not at all. I guess I should not even try fan control because of this?

If it is not the same, you won't be able to use use my code unless you figure out what needs to be different.

Would your quiet fanmod work if I add it to dsdt and loads it in windows? Ok I you dont know... Will it lack kext for temp readings?

asking cause it works for my probook 450 g1 in mavericks but cant get all those hpfancontrol or notebook fancontrol to work in windows when booting into that.

Would your quiet fanmod work if I add it to dsdt and loads it in windows? Ok I you dont know... Will it lack kext for temp readings?

No -- it is for OS X only.

asking cause it works for my probook 450 g1 in mavericks but cant get all those hpfancontrol or notebook fancontrol to work in windows when booting into that.

Are you saying the fan control works ok on your 450 G1? If so, cool, I've not had that confirmed yet.

The only choice on Windows is hpfancontrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back