Contribute
Register

New FaceBook "Promote" is a Big Fail for Fans of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
mattlqx said:
Newsfeed ranking hasn't changed at all. This has always been the case that Page posts have not reached 100% of Likers by default. It's a simple case of limited supply on the side of space in a person's newsfeed. If a person does want to see more of a Page's updates, they can do so by clicking on the drop down in the corner of a story and selecting "All Updates".

Again, this hasn't changed at all. The only new bit is the Promote feature to pay to reach more people that have "Most Updates" set. Running the site isn't free so some attempts to monetize should be reasonable.

Thanks for the official Facebook response. However, according to the article that I linked in the original post:

When Facebook started selling the “promote” button, our views from Facebook dropped off the edge of a cliff. The day they launched it we witnessed a significant drop in website traffic originating from Facebook and the activity on the pages plummeted as well. But to hear Facebook tell the story, they claim it is business as usual and the “Promote” is sort of just an add on. If that is the case, then why have we and many other sites seen their numbers drop?

http://www.northwestmusicscene.com/2012 ... ge-admins/

I think the best alternative for artist-singers-players to get promotion is Youtube Account + Twitter... Facebook is a void social network, no one cares about what they 'Like' (And if you don't believe me, take a look at your friend's likes) and I won't even have an account if it wasn't because of school... Long live Twitter+Youtube!

tonymacx86 said:
Thanks for the official Facebook response. However, according to the article that I linked in the original post:

When Facebook started selling the “promote” button, our views from Facebook dropped off the edge of a cliff. The day they launched it we witnessed a significant drop in website traffic originating from Facebook and the activity on the pages plummeted as well. But to hear Facebook tell the story, they claim it is business as usual and the “Promote” is sort of just an add on. If that is the case, then why have we and many other sites seen their numbers drop?

I don't work on Feed so I can't really speak specifically to that but I've put in a question about it. I do know that anecdotal evidence from third parties can often times be exaggerated. I think a lot of this has to do with our improved analytics that Page owners can view giving better insight into what was already happening. There are far too many variables (post time, time since last feed view, activity in one's own feed, engagement of post, etc.) that go into each post showing up for a person individually to single out one thing without knowing for sure.

Clearly facebook isn't making enough money...... so this is certainly a necessary measure....

mattlqx said:
tonymacx86 said:

I don't work on Feed so I can't really speak specifically to that but I've put in a question about it. I do know that anecdotal evidence from third parties can often times be exaggerated. I think a lot of this has to do with our improved analytics that Page owners can view giving better insight into what was already happening. There are far too many variables (post time, time since last feed view, activity in one's own feed, engagement of post, etc.) that go into each post showing up for a person individually to single out one thing without knowing for sure.

If this is the case going forward, Facebook might consider providing small businesses/groups with maybe 10,000 fans or below to promote their links free of charge. Seems most people who are affected negatively by this change are the little guys. Just my 2cents.

AmigaAbattoir said:
Guess they have to keep the stock holders happy now.
Oh yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Facebook's management was worried about their stock price's P/E ratio.

Just to update, there was a bug introduced early last month that affected engagement and distribution. This has been fixed as of late last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back