Graphics
GeForce 250
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I couldn't find a better place to put this post, and everyone here seems to be super knowledgable, so I thought I would give it a shot. I have an old MacPro 2,1, so 32 bit EFI. I know there are tons of methods to get the 64 bit kernel running anyway (Piker-Alpha, Clover, Tiamo's, ect..) but is there anyway to physically upgrade the EFI. I know you can't software update it and change it form 32 to 64, but can you remove the EFI chip from the logic board, and replace it with a 64 bit version? I know the boards on the 2007 and 2008 models are basically the same, but 2008 has the 64 bit EFI. Could a switch be preformed, or am I totally out of my league here?

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I couldn't find a better place to put this post, and everyone here seems to be super knowledgable, so I thought I would give it a shot. I have an old MacPro 2,1, so 32 bit EFI. I know there are tons of methods to get the 64 bit kernel running anyway (Piker-Alpha, Clover, Tiamo's, ect..) but is there anyway to physically upgrade the EFI. I know you can't software update it and change it form 32 to 64, but can you remove the EFI chip from the logic board, and replace it with a 64 bit version? I know the boards on the 2007 and 2008 models are basically the same, but 2008 has the 64 bit EFI. Could a switch be preformed, or am I totally out of my league here?
Hardware changes to a "Real" Mac should be addressed to Apple support.

Motherboard
XPS 8300
CPU
i7
Graphics
GeForce 250
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This isn't exactly an Apple Supported mod, and they won't give details on a procedure like this. This kind of mod turns the Mac Pro into a hack Pro, and precisely why I added it to these forums. I have heard of people attempting it, but nobody has mentioned anything else about it working or not. So before I turn this running machine into a really heavy paper weight, I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this. I'm not opposed to gutting it, and running a full hack, but if I can use mostly apple hardware, all the better. Plus we are about to have a baby, so extra funding for projects has been cut back for a while.

Motherboard
gigabyte ga-b75m-d3v
CPU
3350p
Graphics
gt 640
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Try macvidcards.com if it was feasible he might know.
He flashes pc vid cards to run on mac. Frequently contributes to piker alpha.
Also makes bt /wireless cards ...
I really doubt this as if it did work you would hear a lot about it.

Motherboard
XPS 8300
CPU
i7
Graphics
GeForce 250
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks Potemkin. I asked him and am waiting on a response. I think it is going to be a more complicated feat than just switching chips, but rumors are that this can be accomplished, but isn't easy. I'll update as soon as I get a response. I'll keep looking around until then. Someone has got to have documented an attempt at this somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.