Contribute
Register

New DRM enabling method for systems with AMD GPU

Could anyone give advice on how to achieve full DRM on Big Sur with the hardware listed. Am at 11.3 and Opencore 0.6.7

Using SMBIOS iMac 15,1 I get red screen on Apple TV.

Have tried to use Macpro 6,1 and disabling the iGpu with -wegnoigpu yet at the moment cannot get it to boot but have only just tried.

Disabling iGpu via BIOS isn’t an option due to dual boot with Windows.

EDIT - seems Macpro 6,1 has a panic when trying to implement energy management states and reboots.

Westsurf, see my post and try it out with an AMD card and see if that helps!

Anyone with imac19,1 or similar imac smbios (bigsur or monterey) have netflix hd or 4k working in safari?
Tried unfairgva 05 and also tried disabling igpu but didn't seem to work.

Saw your post tech1eguy so updating my message from above.

I actually couldn't get it all working. I was using an AMD card with SMBIOS 15,1 and it's a hit and miss. Apple TV will work with one setting but then Amazon Prime wouldn't and vice versa.

I don't think there is a real fix out there. to my knowledge.

Anyone with imac19,1 or similar imac smbios (bigsur or monterey) have netflix hd or 4k working in safari?
Tried unfairgva 05 and also tried disabling igpu but didn't seem to work.

As @computebit states above, DRM will always be compromised one way or another when using a low or mid range iMac SMBIOS.

The only way to get DRM working 100% is to use a MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS with a supported AMD dGPU and disable the IGPU. This has been discussed many times on this and other forums :-

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay for the info. I did come across that info but found that using MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS breaks sidecar and sleep on my OptiPlex 9020. I'm using trs96's guide for my hackintosh and he has done a ton of R&D and continues to keep things updated, and the best SMBIOS he recommends for stability and compatibility is 15,1 or iMac 7,1. (I recall that was another option).

What interested me in this is keeping the 15,1 SMBIOS and adding the unfairgva option to get DRM working. That would have given me a perfect hackintosh.

I guess there isn't a perfect hackintosh where "everything" runs.... yet. :)

Appreciate the message and the info you provided.

Regards

I did come across that info but found that using MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS breaks sidecar and sleep on my OptiPlex 9020.

@computebit,

Sidecar requires either a T2 chip or supported Intel IGPU with QuickSync to compress/decompress the sidecar image so it's one of the few reasons to stick with a iMac SMBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

@computebit,

Sidecar requires either a T2 chip or supported Intel IGPU with QuickSync to compress/decompress the sidecar image so it's one of the few reasons to stick with a iMac SMBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

Got it! Thanks Jay for the explanation.

As @computebit states above, DRM will always be compromised one way or another when using a low or mid range iMac SMBIOS.

The only way to get DRM working 100% is to use a MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS with a supported AMD dGPU and disable the IGPU. This has been discussed many times on this and other forums :-

Cheers
Jay
I am using RX 580 pulse. Tried macpro7,1 smbios with multimonitor disabled in bios. Tried with or without whatevergreen. DRM videos work fine in quicktime. Netflix works fine in safari. But I don't get hdr or 4k resolution. Only get HD in safari. Checked developer menu in safari and vp9 is checked. Using LG 4k/HDR monitor using 1.4DP cable.
Chrome netflix - 720p
Safari netflix (40mbps throughput) - 1080p
Ctrl + Shift + Option + D shows avchigh video codec
Windows 11 Edge (same hardware) (24mbps throughput) - 4k with HDR
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D shows HEVC video codec

So in hackintoshes, netflix 4k (safari hevc) isn't possible as the hardware lacks T2 chip?

I am using RX 580 pulse. Tried macpro7,1 smbios with multimonitor disabled in bios. Tried with or without whatevergreen. DRM videos work fine in quicktime. Netflix works fine in safari. But I don't get hdr or 4k resolution. Only get HD in safari. Checked developer menu in safari and vp9 is checked. Using LG 4k/HDR monitor using 1.4DP cable.
Chrome netflix - 720p
Safari netflix (40mbps throughput) - 1080p
Ctrl + Shift + Option + D shows avchigh video codec
Windows 11 Edge (same hardware) (24mbps throughput) - 4k with HDR
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D shows HEVC video codec

So in hackintoshes, netflix 4k (safari hevc) isn't possible as the hardware lacks T2 chip?

No, that's not what he (totally) said. He said if you have an Intel IGPU set up with Quicksync it can be done (as well as) using an iMac based SMBIOS. In your case it should be something like SMBIOS iMac19,1 and the Quicksync enabled under the Intel IGPU PCIRoot like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.34.25 AM.png

If you have a HDMI 2.0 capable monitor you could also try using something like SwitchResX to force it to use 4K 60.

Back