Contribute
Register

New DRM enabling method for systems with AMD GPU

Do any you know whether a MSI RX560 with a Z77N-wifi configured as iMacPro will have any chance to get appleTV DRM working? Or only 570/580 works? I would like to set a miniMac with appletv capability, my power supply and space is very limited so I need a small GPU that supports DRM.

Do any you know whether a MSI RX560 with a Z77N-wifi configured as iMacPro will have any chance to get appleTV DRM working? Or only 570/580 works? I would like to set a miniMac with appletv capability, my power supply and space is very limited so I need a small GPU that supports DRM.

I can't speak to a Z77 mobo, but a MSI RX560 works with an HP8300 Q77 mobo
with shikigva = 128, iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and Catalina 10.15.7. Quicktime player
needs shikigva=144 for some reason even with SMBIOS set to IMP1,1.

The HP8300 with RX560 also works with Catalina 10.15.7, iMac19,1 SMBIOS
and shikigva = 80.

With Big Sur, shikigva settings seem ineffective. One can download mp4 content
and then play the download, but HLS content and streaming do not work.

With Big Sur, shikigva settings seem ineffective. One can download mp4 content
and then play the download, but HLS content and streaming do not work.
I'm testing Big Sur with OpenCore 0.6.5 & latest kext, but I'm seeing "Testing DRM" items other than AppleTV +.
shikigva=208 (UseHwDrmDecoder + UseHwDrmStreaming + UseLegacyHwDrmDecoder)
See here for the meaning of the numbers.

Regarding AppleTV +, it is said that it can be displayed if it is DisplayPort output, but I can not confirm it because there is no monitor other than HDMI and no DP cable.

I'm testing Big Sur with OpenCore 0.6.5 & latest kext, but I'm seeing "Testing DRM" items other than AppleTV +.
shikigva=208 (UseHwDrmDecoder + UseHwDrmStreaming + UseLegacyHwDrmDecoder)
See here for the meaning of the numbers.

Regarding AppleTV +, it is said that it can be displayed if it is DisplayPort output, but I can not confirm it because there is no monitor other than HDMI and no DP cable.
Prime video in safari works. Quicktime DRM and Appletv+ isn't working. I am using DP output.

Prime video in safari works. Quicktime DRM and Appletv+ isn't working. I am using DP output.
Thank you, it seems that you don't have to do extra shopping.

I'm testing Big Sur with an HP8300CMT i7-3770 RX570 SMBIOS=iMacPro1.1.
Is Quicktime DRM not displayed even if UseLegacyHwDrmDecoder is set to 0 (shikigva = 80)?
In my case it will be displayed in either 80/208.

Last edited:
Thank you, it seems that you don't have to do extra shopping.

I'm testing Big Sur with an HP8300CMT i7-3770 RX570 SMBIOS=iMacPro1.1.
Is Quicktime DRM not displayed even if UseLegacyHwDrmDecoder is set to 0 (shikigva = 80)?
In my case it will be displayed in either 80/208.
Tried shikigva=80. Didn't work quicktime or prime. Now if I go back to shikigva=208, it is not working. Tried clearing cache in safari, logged out and logged in.
FYI - I am using opencore 0.65 build from 2 days ago along with Lilu 1.5.1 and Whatevergreen 1.4.6 kext builds. Using release builds for all other kexts.

Tried shikigva=80. Didn't work quicktime or prime. Now if I go back to shikigva=208, it is not working. Tried clearing cache in safari, logged out and logged in.
It seems that the settings will not be changed unless NVRAM reset is performed on the boot menu screen.

For those who want to use Apple TV in imac19,1 (AMD GPU and headless iGPU) with Big Sur 11.1, try this
I am cautiously optimistic. This did work for me (Big Sur 11.1, RX 580, iMac 19,1) so I can watch TV shows and movies I have from the iTunes store. I don't have Apple TV+ so couldn't test that though I could watch a free episode. I rebooted after entering the changes (copied below) from the post mentioned above:
I opened the command line, and I paste line by line, and pushed enter
these are the commands:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

After that Apple TV works.

I hope I help, but, before you do it, let some experienced users to answer my post. I don’t want to mess up your machine.

Thanks for finding this- I would never have seen that post in that thread.

Hi all , needs a clear answer . have laptop asus with hd4600 and disable gtx850m .
question : possible enable drm for playing Apple tv or not ??

Back