Contribute
Register

New DRM enabling method for systems with AMD GPU

Just a side note, my weird WEG setup is still working, even on the new safari, no error with netflix and other streaming platforms #post-2109696, If it can help someone :)

My DRM is not working on Big Sur with a test machine with an RX570.

Real3x, could you give us more details of your setup, like if you are testing with Big Sur?

Also, I notice some details with Big Sur using Lilu and WhateverGreen in IORegistryExplorer,
and I was hoping you could check yours.

In IORegistryExplorer, under IOService:Root/iMacPro1,1 one of the Properties listed may be
a "hwdrm-id" and/or a "shiki-id." With my working system using Ivy Bridge and an RX560 on
Catalina, I use a boot argument shikigva=144 and I see a hwdrm-id with the same value
as the board-id, namely the iMacPro1,1's "Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94". I don't need to enter
a shiki-id or agdpmod on my working Catalina system with shikigva=144, and both ATV and
Quicktime work on DRM media. Does yours end up as a "shiki-id" value there?

On my system where DRM is not working on Big Sur with a RX570 and iMacPro1,1, I have
tried various combinations including yours and nothing works.

I notice that if I look at the RX560 GFX0 accelerator at

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMDRadeonX4000_AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator

in my RX560 machine, one of the Properties is IOGVACodec with a value of AMDU6V3.

If I look at the RX570 GFX0 accelerator at

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMDRadeonX4000_AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator

the IOGVACodec Property still has a value of AMDU6V3. I thought the correct value for
Ellesmere RX570 or RX580 was AMDU7V4. Could you check yours and see what IOGVACodec
property value you have for the RX580?

Thanks.

DRM works if you use iMacPro1,1 system definition even if you don't have WhateverGreen installed. It always has.

Hey all, read the last few pages and trying to keep up. Had DRM going perfect with shikigva=80 on iMac19,2 using headless ID for UHD630 and an RX590 with Clover on Catalina. Recently switched to OpenCore and didn't think to test DRM before upgrading to Big Sur. shikigva=80 results in broken iTunes DRM but checking console, I think we're related to the broken WebKit DRM support.

Code:
Oct 16 17:12:02 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:02 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:02 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:04 XXX-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.0C000000-0700-0000-0000-000000000000[6278]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[81]
Oct 16 17:12:12 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:12 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:12 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:12 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelCFLGraphicsVAME.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCFLGraphicsVAME: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:12:12 XXX-iMac Music[6280]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver: #2: No such file or directory

Whereas webkit is:

Oct 16 00:05:22 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:22 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:22 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:24 XXX-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.0F000000-0700-0000-0000-000000000000[5031]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[81]
Oct 16 00:05:28 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsVADriver: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:28 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:28 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonVADriver2: #2: No such file or directory
Oct 16 00:05:28 XXX-iMac com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[5032]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AppleIntelCFLGraphicsVAME.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCFLGraphicsVAME: #2: No such file or directory

Just to confirm: Nobody currently has functioning iTunes DRM on Big Sur yet? You can test by playing the Music 1 stream.

A little help please. I added shikigva=32 and shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 to my boot arg and Apple TV+ playback is working great, but...only on my HDMI monitor. If I try dragging it to the DP monitor, the content goes black and I get a DRM message. Any workarounds? My DisplayPort is my main and preferred monitor. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've switch to OC 0.6.3 for Big Sur, I feel your pain with this one. No matter the settings(shikigva, AAPL,platform-id,etc) it makes no difference in Big Sur. Even with the wrong settings in Catalina AppleTV App would play downloaded content, but not the case in Big Sur.

The only working option I've found is switching SMBIOS to MacPro7,1, but the negatives massively outweigh the benefit of having AppleTV and Netflix in Safari compared to using SMBIOS iMac19,2 for a fully compatible working system with all the continuity features and stability it brings.

I've switch to OC 0.6.3 for Big Sur, I feel your pain with this one. No matter the settings(shikigva, AAPL,platform-id,etc) it makes no difference in Big Sur. Even with the wrong settings in Catalina AppleTV App would play downloaded content, but not the case in Big Sur.

The only working option I've found is switching SMBIOS to MacPro7,1, but the negatives massively outweigh the benefit of having AppleTV and Netflix in Safari compared to using SMBIOS iMac19,2 for a fully compatible working system with all the continuity features and stability it brings.
they say "persistence is the key to success"... Managed to sort the DRM issues out on AppleTV streaming and downloaded content, but Netflix/Amazon PrimeVideo only works via Chrome. You could say it's a useable fix. However, the computer takes much longer to load, so things are not 100% correct, and will need to check the logs to see what's stalling and find a fix before I post my findings. I'm getting there! :)

DRM is unresolved on iMac SMBIOS due to broken user space patching for Big Sur on Lilu, resulting on shiki currently being useless. Acidanthera developer states that it might not get fixed at all but will have a look after they update to Big Sur on their personal build. Let's play the waiting game until a verdict is out.

DRM is unresolved on iMac SMBIOS due to broken user space patching for Big Sur on Lilu, resulting on shiki currently being useless. Acidanthera developer states that it might not get fixed at all but will have a look after they update to Big Sur on their personal build. Let's play the waiting game until a verdict is out.
I've noticed from my own research Shiki does nothing anymore.
However, I've managed to get a stable setup with AppleTV working for streamed and downloaded content without shiki settings, but you need to use Chrome for online content like Netflix,etc.

I've noticed from my own research Shiki does nothing anymore.
However, I've managed to get a stable setup with AppleTV working for streamed and downloaded content without shiki settings, but you need to use Chrome for online content like Netflix,etc.
How did you manage to fix Apple TV without changing to iMacPro or MacPro SMBIOS?

This is the easiest method I found in Big Sur with imac smbios for drm. Add -igfxvesa to bootargs with WEG. igpu will be disabled and appletv, drm etc. works fine. If you need igpu for sidecar etc., remove and reboot. I get about additional 10 secs black screen during boot though with this -igfxvesa.

Back