1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@ALL,

December 2nd 2019

Note:
Not applicable if you are using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

The developers of Lilu and WhatEverGreen have now publicly released Lilu 1.4.0 and WEG 1.3.5 which includes a new method for enabling Native MacOS DRM playback on most systems as long as it has a AMD GPU installed.

Please see the updated DRM section of the Lilu + WhatEverGreen Guide for more information :-

Update: 8th December 2019

The current development build (1.3.6) of WEG includes a new Shiki bit mask value (+64) to enable AMD hardware DRM steaming decode in Safari for services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, however it is very much still in development and does not currently work with all AMD GPU's / system configurations.

Full details on this new development has been added to the DRM section of the Lilu + WhatEverGreen Guide :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Just to clarify: with the new Lilu and WhatEverGreen should I keep the agdpmod=pikera boot argument that I currently have in my config.plist, as well as adding the new shikigva=16 argument?

Just to clarify: with the new Lilu and WhatEverGreen should I keep the agdpmod=pikera boot argument that I currently have in my config.plist, as well as adding the new shikigva=16 argument?

@buddyjack2,

Good question ....

As far as i know the only reason to use agdpmod=pikera is so that one can use the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS without booting to a black screen. It replaces board-id with board-ix which is specific only to the MacPro6,1.

So if you plan on still using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS then you most likely need to keep agdpmod=pikera but maybe you could try with and without it and report back .... might help others who have the same question.

Cheers
Jay

I've got a Kaby Lake CPU and am currently using iMacPro1,1 in SMBIOS (IGPU disabled). Everything's been working great (e.g., VideoProc indicates hardware acceleration for H264 and HEVC) with the Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT so far, except for the DRM playback issues noted by people this past month. I'll try adding the new boot argument and see if it resolves that.

just adding a data point or so: I didn't notice any difference - DRM from Amazon prime played fine (well, in SD instead of HD) before installing, and continues to do so after these changes. In both cases, will not play in Safari, but works with Opera Dev, and Chrome.

And, FWIW, this hand to effect (which is good) on FCPX.

YMMV

It should be noted that those who are using iMacPro1,1 system definition do not need the "shikigva=16" boot argument. Apple TV, Amazon on Safari, Netflix on Safari, etc should all work just as it always has.

It should be noted that those who are using iMacPro1,1 system definition do not need the "shikigva=16" boot argument. Apple TV, Amazon on Safari, Netflix on Safari, etc should all work just as it always has.

@pastrychef,

You are correct, it is my understanding that The WEG development team have analysed exactly what using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS makes to DRM in MacOS and have implemented those changes as a series of new dynamic patches that can be triggered with the "shikigva=16" boot flag when using any other SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1.

The guide still includes the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS workaround for CFL owners ...

Cheers
Jay

Back