Contribute
Register

New DRM enabling method for systems with AMD GPU

@pastrychef,

You are correct, it is my understanding that The WEG development team have analysed exactly what using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS makes to DRM in MacOS and have implemented those changes as a series of new dynamic patches that can be triggered with the "shikigva=16" boot flag when using any other SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1.

The guide still includes the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS workaround for CFL owners ...

Cheers
Jay

Yes, that's my understanding too. They are essentially spoofing iMacPro1,1 FairPlay behavior. That's why it only fixes Apple's FairPlay DRM and doesn't do anything for 3rd party DRM in Safari.

Yes, that's my understanding too. They are essentially spoofing iMacPro1,1 FairPlay behavior. That's why it only fixes Apple's FairPlay DRM and doesn't do anything for 3rd party DRM in Safari.

I think 3rd party DRM works ok in Chrome though .... I don't have Netflix but i do have Amazon Prime Video which plays fine in Chrome in full HD with the new patch, prior to today I was only able to play in SD resolution.

Cheers
Jay

I think 3rd party DRM works ok in Chrome though .... I don't have Netflix but i do have Amazon Prime Video which plays fine in Chrome in full HD with the new patch, prior to today I was only able to play in SD resolution.

Cheers
Jay

I haven't tested in any other browsers (I don't even have Chrome installed) but I was told that using anything other than Safari would result in lower resolutions and/or limited resolution options.

Just tried this (iMac 19,1) and it works great. Only trouble is my iTunes library is now empty. I have several thousand cd rips on an external drive and even if I reset my "Music Media Folder Location" in prefs they fail to show up. Any thoughts?

Fixed: (I think) Ughhh I had to re-Import 375gb of my music to rebuild my "Music" library. Pretty nasty side effect, but worth it in the end I suppose. Just hoping I don't have to fix a thousand or so Album Covers. (ps. I hate the Music app..)

Last edited:
Just tried this (iMac 19,1) and it works great. Only trouble is my iTunes library is now empty. I have several thousand cd rips on an external drive and even if I reset my "Music Media Folder Location" in prefs they fail to show up. Any thoughts?

Fixed: (I think) Ughhh I had to re-Import 375gb of my music to rebuild my "Music" library. Pretty nasty side effect, but worth it in the end I suppose. Just hoping I don't have to fix a thousand or so Album Covers. (ps. I hate the Music app..)

@Lensjocky,

Humm thats weird ....

I never had that side effect on the two systems that i've tested this new AMD DRM enabling method on, but the new Shiki code does patch both Appel Music and iTunes so ... it's possible that in some instance it causes a library reset ?

Cheers
Jay

@Lensjocky,

Humm thats weird ....

I never had that side effect on the two systems that i've tested this new AMD DRM enabling method on, but the new Shiki code does patch both Appel Music and iTunes so ... it's possible that in some instance it causes a library reset ?

Cheers
Jay

Yes it's actually wreaked absolute havoc on my "Music" Library. I've had to restore the "Music Library" on my system 375gb worth and have lost all my custom made "playlists" from the last several years. If I ever want to sync my iPhone again I'll have to allow "Music" to remove and restore all the audio files on my phone (100gb worth).
Honestly I'm considering a complete system restore from a clone backup to fix this mess.
Hardly worth the ability to use draconian DRM IMHO...

All that pass this way consider this warning. Make sure you have a clone...

Hardly worth the ability to use draconian DRM IMHO...

@Lensjocky,

Sorry to read you had some issues .... like i said i did not have any issues with my music library's on both Apple
Music (on Catalina) and iTunes (on Mojave).

Did you change your SMBIOS ? .. if so that may explain the cause ..

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Lensjocky,

Sorry to read you had some issues .... like i said i did not have any issues with my music library's on both Apple
Music (on Catalina) and iTunes (on Mojave).

Did you change your SMBIOS ? .. if so that may explain the cause ..

Cheers
Jay
No I didn't change my SMBios.
I simply used the boot arg as instructed.

Trying to use a "TimeMachine" backup to undo the drm/privilege changes that "shikigva=16" made to my system. Any thoughts on which folder or folders I should restore? I tried the obvious "user/Music" folder and that didn't do the trick.

Trying to use a "TimeMachine" backup to undo the drm/privilege changes that "shikigva=16" made to my system. Any thoughts on which folder or folders I should restore? I tried the obvious "user/Music" folder and that didn't do the trick.

@Lensjocky,

Sorry no ....

I just checked on the official WhatEverGreen support threads and no one else has reported this issue when using the shikigva=16 boot argument, just lots of people reporting good success with Apple TV+ after using the fix.

I'm stumped as to why you had the issue ... the patch applied to Apple Music is as follows :-

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Path</key>
    <string>/System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/MacOS/Music</string>
    <key>Section</key>
    <string>HWDRMID</string>
    <key>Type</key>
    <string>Modern</string>
</dict>

As far as I can tell thats all it does so it does not make sense why your library got corrupted ... a similar patch is Applied to AppleTV, iTunes & QuickTime ..

Full details of all the patches applied by shikigva=16 is detailed in the change log here :-

I think all the patches are dynamic and non-permanent so removing the shikigva=16 boot argument effectively stops the fix, that how most Lilu plugins work.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Lensjocky,

Sorry no ....

I just checked on the official WhatEverGreen support threads and no one else has reported this issue when using the shikigva=16 boot argument, just lots of people reporting good success with Apple TV+ after using the fix.

I'm stumped as to why you had the issue ...

The patch applied to Apple Music is as follows :-

<dict>
<key>Path</key>
<string>/System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/MacOS/Music</string>
<key>Section</key>
<string>HWDRMID</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Modern</string>
</dict>

As far as I can tell thats all it does so it does not make sense why your library got corrupted ...
Full details of all the patches applied by shikigva=16 is detailed in the change log here :-

Cheers
Jay
Yeah Apple TV worked great, no doubt.
The Music App, not so much..

I was able to recover my "Music" Library with the help of a TimeMachine backup.
Perhaps after I update my bootable clone startup disk I'll mess with it again.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
Back