Contribute
Register

New DRM enabling method for systems with AMD GPU

From first beta of 10.15.4 drm doesn't work for netflix(black screen) and for okko in Safari
With 10.15.3 all works

i7-9700k
5700XT
iMacPro1,1, and some iMac's SMBios
latest WhateverGreen and Lilu
and shikigva didn't help

It works for me
rx 580
shikigva=80 and -radnogva

I can confirm that is true for my system.
I should have been more clearer.
I am using iMacpro1,1 and latest versions of WG, lilu etc. and OpenCore 0.56. I upgraded last week. Since then Netflix, which used to crash on Safari, runs smoothly and I get full HD (1920x1080).
I don't have AppleTV subscription or Amazon Prime but the previews work on AppleTV.

In my case today was experimenting to sort out some problems with the new clover version (btw it's going worse every release), i removed igpu from bios and bingo, drm working, Netflix & Amazon Prime Video with Safari.
My config is:
iMac 18,3 SMBios
Latest WhateverGreen & Lilu
agpmod=pikera -shikigva=80

The weird part is Hackintool that says no GVA acceleration but it's working correctly.

Last edited:
A silly and desperate test that result in a .... success / but weird story, this is the story :

/ old sandy bridge 2600k no igpu/RX 580+WEG/Catalina

I was on :
- imac 16,1 smbios with shikigva=16 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 WEG 1.3.6/osx 10.15.3 and have h264/265 video toolbox enable but no DRM content (netflix/atv)

Later :
- imac 16,1 but shikigva=80 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 WEG 1.3.8/osx 10.15.4 and lost h264/265 video toolbox but DRM content work (netflix/atv)

So i decide to switch on imacpro :
- imacpro 1,1 only agdpmod=vit9696 boot argument, WEG 1.3.8/osx 10.15.4 - h264/265 video toolbox enable, DRM content work (netflix/atv) but i suffer from the red/green video screen, i just have sound on DRM video. And some times this affect some video on website in safari, it seems strangely totally random, it has even happen on a video inside imessage.

Then i read a lot of thing that i tried but always same result, still red/green video ...

So i decide to try to add some shikigva=XX, i know that's a nonsense, but hey, when there were nothing more to try why not :) but same result, still red/green video.

And after a week, this morning i tried a more nonsense thing : add shikigva=80 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 as boot argument ... and BOOM red/green screen disappear and i have netflix and ATV working with ofc videotoolbox enable.

I have absolutely no idea why it's working, im on imacpro so why add the same mac model with shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 make it work ? ...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-04-23 à 14.00.43.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-23 à 14.00.43.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Capture d’écran 2020-04-23 à 14.00.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-23 à 14.00.51.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Netflix, ATV+, Disney+ etc working but Amazon Prime Video, HBO refresh to an error page.

This is my current configuration:
iMac18,3 with headless configuration (0x59120003).
i5-7400
RX580
shikigva=80

I tried with iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled from BIOS and all works but I lose Apple Watch unlock and Sidecar and I reverted to iMac18,3 with enabled IGPU and headless configuration.

Anyone with the same problem or has a fix?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I tried with iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled from BIOS and all works but I lost Apple Watch unlock and Sidecar.

@jmmc,

You will not be able to get SideCar working when using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS as a real iMac Pro uses a T2 chip for the SideCar encode process. If you need SideCar working then you must use a regular iMac SMBIOS with the IGPU enabled and configured as headless.

Cheers
Jay

@jmmc,

You will not be able to get SideCar working when using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS as a real iMac Pro uses a T2 chip for the SideCar encode process. If you need SideCar working then you must use a regular iMac SMBIOS with the IGPU enabled and configured as headless.

Cheers
Jay

Yes, I know but I want to know if it's possible to fix Prime Video with iMac18,3. Currently I'm using iMac18,3.

Thanks!

Yes, I know but I want to know if it's possible to fix Prime Video with iMac18,3. Currently I'm using iMac18,3.

@jmmc,

I have read many more positive DRM success stories in the last few weeks when using the very latest Lilu + WEG with a standard iMac SMBIOS and the boot argument shikigva=80 so progress has been made since the revamped shiki code was introduced in WEG .... however there are still known issues with certain Polaris based AMD GPU's.

On a personal note i can confirm that with the latest release of Lilu (V1.4.3) and WEG (V1.3.8) Netflix has started working in Safari on my main system (iMac15,1 with shikigva=80) which up until now has not worked, however Amazon prime video still causes an error (although it does now play a few seconds before the error) so I can see that with each release of Lilu + WEG progress is being made by the devs.

If it does not work for you then you'll have to wait for the next release of Lilu + WEG and hope that the devs have made a bit more progress.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back