Contribute
Register

New Clover Release v5.1 r5123/4/5/6/7 - Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts exactly, after migrating from Chimera to Clover and now OC.

I still have a soft spot for Clover but times have changed.

Hello everybody.
I also tried to use OpenCore as my usual bootloader.
And the my ESP on the HDD or SSD contains the OpenCore stable and the latest master.
I have to run Windows on that computer.
The behavior of OpenCore there is not very good.
It will change the value of BIOS etc. and ACPI.
I also want to use OpenCore either.
However, due to the behavior of OpenCore, Windows becomes unstable and the BIOS screen does not appear.
That's why I'm looking forward to Clover in the future.
As long as there is a problem like this, it may be a few people, but Clover will be required by people.
I was the first tester for Clover to bring in OpenCore to migrate from Big Sur. (Jief's demands were high and it was a very exciting challenge.)
Thank you.

Hello everybody.
And the my ESP on the HDD or SSD contains the OpenCore stable and the latest master.
Put rEFInd in front on Opencore. My setup: SSD1: OC+Catalina install, SSD2: rEFInd on EFI partition of Windows disk. BIOS is setup to boot eEFInd (but if the SSD2 is removed OSX will boot with OC from SSD1).
I've modified my setup following https://github.com/dortania/Hackintosh-Mini-Guides/blob/master/refind.md
Since then - no issues. The setup is close to Clover booting - you pick OSX or Windows and then boot proceeds to chainload either OC or windows bootloaer. Another advantage is that if I update OC don't I touch EFI on SSD2 and hence rEFInd and Windows bootloader is untouched and will keep working. So you do a straightforward OC update.

Another advantage is that if I update OC don't I touch EFI on SSD2 and hence rEFInd and Windows bootloader is untouched and will keep working. So you do a straightforward OC update.
What if you update Windows? Especially big updates which are famous for destroying Clover from 1 drive 2 OS (Win & MacOS) configs. It's very likely they will happy to destroy rEFInd too, wont' they?

What if you update Windows? Especially big updates which are famous for destroying Clover from 1 drive 2 OS (Win & MacOS) configs. It's very likely they will happy to destroy rEFInd too, wont' they?
I do keep backup of the two EFIs. My Windows is 7 so the risk of unwanted updates is very low there though.

Hello everybody.
However, due to the behavior of OpenCore, Windows becomes unstable and the BIOS screen does not appear.
As long as there is a problem like this, it may be a few people, but Clover will be required by people.
I was the first tester for Clover to bring in OpenCore to migrate from Big Sur. (Jief's demands were high and it was a very exciting challenge.)
Thank you.
You can disable the SMBIOS modifications from OpenCore - or more technically, make the modifications only affect macOS. ACPI causing windows to not boot just sounds like badly done ACPI - it's not hard to make ACPI modifications work with windows as well. I feel like I've already told you this though on another forum...

@Archangeliques (sorry, was about to respond before realizing I'd already posted)
Afaik, windows won't completely overwrite an EFI partition - it just may overwrite EFI/BOOT/Bootx64.efi. As long as you put in a custom entry in NVRAM (using something like EFI shell), windows shouldn't mess with it other than messing with boot order. Best way honestly though is to just relegate window's to it's own drive - and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Hello everybody.
Thank you.

Do a search for open core and locked out of bios. The future of clover currently is tied to Open core so it would be best for you to figure out why you are having issues. In most cases, your problems are due to your config not actually the boot loader.

As for windows use the bios boot picker to boot windows keep your mac OS and windows OS booting separately. But again there are a good amount of people that boot windows from OC so once again it is likely you not OC.

BIOS screen not appearing might be BootProtect - it's known to cause issues with some Z97 motherboards I think. Not exactly sure why - I haven't seen anyone report the bug on Acidanthera's bug tracker yet, so I doubt they've looked into it.

You can disable the SMBIOS modifications from OpenCore - or more technically, make the modifications only affect macOS. ACPI causing windows to not boot just sounds like badly done ACPI - it's not hard to make ACPI modifications work with windows as well. I feel like I've already told you this though on another forum...
I'd like to know how to disable ACPI mods of OC for Windows or make it mod MacOS only too. I disagree with badly done ACPI. The point is modding the ACPI so that MacOS understands it or get tricked to think it's Mac hardware, not the other way around. Modding ACPI for both MacOS and Windows is waste of time as the default ACPI is already for Windows. I think until OC dev decides to make OC only effect MacOS, the best way to deal with it is to pressing F8 during the boot and selecting Windows boot manager when one needs to launch Windows.
@Archangeliques (sorry, was about to respond before realizing I'd already posted)
Afaik, windows won't completely overwrite an EFI partition - it just may overwrite EFI/BOOT/Bootx64.efi. As long as you put in a custom entry in NVRAM (using something like EFI shell), windows shouldn't mess with it other than messing with boot order. Best way honestly though is to just relegate window's to it's own drive - and you should be fine.
[GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI
After a Windows update, Windows may re-create bootmgfw.efi with updated code. To fix after a Windows update:
- on the EFI partition, remove EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi
- rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
Not sure about NVRAM custom entry is the only cause there. And you are right about separate drives for separate OSs. But my question was special for that user's case; 1 drive with rEFInd + Win, 1 drive with MacOS. Since his Windows is 7, he won't have any issues about updates because Win7 is discontinued. As for rEFInd, adding and managing (updating it etc) another bootloader is overkill. As we just meet Frankenloader (Clover+OpenCore). Just press F8 during boot and use mobo's built-in boot manager for Windows.

I'd like to know how to disable ACPI mods of OC for Windows or make it mod MacOS only too. I disagree with badly done ACPI. The point is modding the ACPI so that MacOS understands it or get tricked to think it's Mac hardware, not the other way around. Modding ACPI for both MacOS and Windows is waste of time as the default ACPI is already for Windows. I think until OC dev decides to make OC only effect MacOS, the best way to deal with it is to pressing F8 during the boot and selecting Windows boot manager when one needs to launch Windows.
You can't disable ACPI modifications, best you can do is seperate logic using if statements like such:
If (_OSI("Darwin"))
{
// Do stuff
}

For SMBIOS, you can set Kernel->CustomSMBIOSGUID = true and PlatformInfo->UpdateSMBIOSMode = "Custom"
As for why ACPI can't be disabled - it's mainly about providing a consistent environment. If you boot macOS, but it fails to boot and you get kicked back into the picker, it's hard to roll back the changes made - so is it supposed to force restart, or just try to boot windows with the modifications done anyway? Imo, it tends to lead towards cleaner ACPI patches as well. The code you write tends to be seperated into SSDTs which are easier to share and use across different DSDT and firmware versions. It makes you think about the modifications you make - often times you don't need to make large edits except for battery patches possibly, though that generally doesn't break windows. I struggle a bit to see how people are happy to just stick a DSDT into Clover and be done with it when it's difficult to update when you update the BIOS - as the DSDT certainly can and does change between different BIOS versions.
Not sure about NVRAM custom entry is the only cause there. And you are right about separate drives for separate OSs. But my question was special for that user's case; 1 drive with rEFInd + Win, 1 drive with MacOS. Since his Windows is 7, he won't have any issues about updates because Win7 is discontinued. As for rEFInd, adding and managing (updating it etc) another bootloader is overkill. As we just meet Frankenloader (Clover+OpenCore). Just press F8 during boot and use mobo's built-in boot manager for Windows.
Using the built-in boot manager is definitely an option. It depends I guess it depends on what the user wants. It can be a bit annoying spamming F8 or F12 at boot if you want to boot something other than the default, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back