Contribute
Register

New Clover Release v5.1 r5123/4/5/6/7 - Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? The worst that can normally happen is that your EFI partition is borked. Not sure how you've managed to kill your drive. Anyway keeping EFI backup on a usb (so that at worst you can boot from this usb) is the minimum you could do.

Yeah, I borked the EFI partition.

The backup I had on a USB thumb drive was wiped. That's what was gone. So now I've retrieved the files and I'm going with a Mac Mini for my music production machine.

Tried doing a clean OpenCore install and just found myself frustrated.

Hackintosh is a young man's game - I want to spend the time now playing music and using the machine :)

yeah, I borked the EFI partition.

The backup I had on a USB thumb drive was wiped. That's what was gone. So now I've retrieved the files and I'm going with a Mac Mini for my music production machine.

Tried doing a clean OpenCore install and just found myself frustrated.

Hackintosh is a young man's game - I want to spend the time now playing music and using the machine :)

Fortunately for me I learned the lesson early on to backup my partition/configs. I do frequent and multiple backups and never have issues with broken upgrades ever since. Maybe if you have failed early on too then you might have been very cautious.

Hasn’t anybody realised r5123 is marked as ‘pre-release’?
I do now. The problem is using Clover Configurator, which has never steered me wrong before, led me to download 5123 when I checked for updates. I was following the steps in the update post to update kexts and update Clover before downloading the OS X update. In the past, updating via Clover Configurator hasn't been an issue, but I'll be sure to manually update Clover with a release version from now on. For now I have to find my bootable USB. It's been a long time since I've needed one, and I've lost track of it.

I have these drivers, the config file has quirks, but I get this message and I have the driver.
what's going on ?

hi
i have same problem. after copy Quirks from sample.plist to my own config.plist
did you solve it?
Any guidance is appreciated

It seems like I need to edit the existing config.plist and add the quirks section from the sample.plist linked earlier. However, I'm having trouble remembering how to go about this. The first installer USB I was able to find is old and has the Yosemite installer on it. When I boot to that USB, Clover gives me the option of booting the installer but not the OS on the hard drive. I started the installer but can't see where I can edit the config.plist. I'm having trouble even finding the EFI directory. I found what I thought it was, but it turned out to be the USB's EFI directory.

I tried using Clover's UEFI Shell 64, but can't find a way to edit the file there. I thought maybe I could copy config.plist from FS6: (primary EFI) to FS1: (USB drive), but the shell says FS1: is read only. I know there's got to be a way to do this without reinstalling the OS. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to edit the config.plist when I can't seem to get any files off the mac to edit on another computer?

Nevermind I just restored my old config
Can you tell this village idiot how you accomplished that? I think previous Clover versions might be in the EFI-BACKUPS folder, but I'm not sure how to restore my old config.

EDIT: Here's where I am so far: I mounted the primary EFI partition using the installer's terminal: mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI. I found the config.plist and copied it to the USB drive. Moved that to a friend's MBP and edited it. Pasted the whole quirks section to the end of config.plist. Restarted the installer and copied the edited config to the EFI/CLOVER folder. The system starts up now, but the USB keyboard isn't detected so it sits there on the login screen telling me to connect a keyboard. The keyboard works fine in UEFI or the installer, so I know it's not unplugged when I start the main OS. Must be a quirk I need to fool with. Any suggestions?

Now that I can somewhat reliably copy files to the installer, I'd rather revert the Clover version to 5122 and hopefully be able to boot normally. How should I go about this? Is it as easy as obtaining the 5122 release and copying the contents of the CLOVER directory over the existing one?

Second EDIT: While attempting to correct my issue, I accidentally destroyed my EFI folder. See here for details and how I reverted to r5122: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/recover-overwritten-efi-folder.304713/

Last edited:
I do now. The problem is using Clover Configurator, which has never steered me wrong before, led me to download 5123 when I checked for updates. I was following the steps in the update post to update kexts and update Clover before downloading the OS X update. In the past, updating via Clover Configurator hasn't been an issue, but I'll be sure to manually update Clover with a release version from now on. For now I have to find my bootable USB. It's been a long time since I've needed one, and I've lost track of it.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Hackintool only flags release versions of Clover to download. Before switching to OpenCore, that's how I'd update Clover the few times that the Clover Pref Pane hadn't alerted me first.

I want to give Thanks to all the Clover's Team, but now I have migrated to OpenCore. I'm ready for Big Sur with the version 0.6.2 working flawless. The migration was very easy following Dortania's guide.
Regards & Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back