Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics
GeForce 9800 GT
Hi Guys,

I've been away from the hackitosh community for the last four years - I took the plunge and bought a real mac, now I've been looking to upgrade and am just floored by the price apple wants for it's new macs - so back I come :)

I'm looking to build a new machine for audio production (Thunderbolt is an absolute must as I have a Universal Audio Apollo).

Has anyone had any success with this setup already, advice on a new build for one?

Also one of the big questions is does thunderbolt 2 work with the USB-C connectors (with the adaptor) on a lot of the new motherboards

I'll be more specific and break it down.

If I used one of the following motherboards:
CustoMac Pro
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO

Does the USB-C port work?
Does it work with an adaptor to Thunderbolt 2?
(like this one https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter)
Has anyone used one of these board to run an Apollo Twin interface?

For the motherboards listed, only the GA-Z270X-UD5 has Thunderbolt 3. The other two does not have the Intel Thunderbolt chip on board and the USB-C port at the back of those boards does NOT support Thunderbolt 3.

Ooh! thanks 007! - i'd assumed that they would all have thunderbolt compatibility.

Tell me - how much patching do you need to do with your GA-Z270X-UD5?

007 for the MAXIMUS IX HERO would I need to get a Thunderbolt PCIE like Asus ThunderboltEX II in order to use TB for my apollo 8? I am in 10.12.6

For the motherboards listed, only the GA-Z270X-UD5 has Thunderbolt 3. The other two does not have the Intel Thunderbolt chip on board and the USB-C port at the back of those boards does NOT support Thunderbolt 3.

007 for the MAXIMUS IX HERO would I need to get a Thunderbolt PCIE like Asus ThunderboltEX II in order to use TB for my apollo 8? I am in 10.12.6

The Maximus IX Hero does not support Thunderbolt 3 onboard. So yes, you will need a Thunderbolt add-in card to use Thunderbolt, assuming you can make it work in MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back