GTX-660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My new build has the following components:

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (Rev F11 bios)
CPU - i7-3770K
Memory - 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance
PSU - 800 watt Rosewill
Graphics card - EVGA GTX 660
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
DVD - Sony Optiarc
Cooler - Corsair H100
Case - Corsair 600T
VM software - Parallels 8 (not installed yet)

Managed to get OSX 10.8.2 installed.
Installed the graphics driver for the GTX 660 from Nvidia's website per the thread which discussed this.
I have trim support for the SSD's.

Current issues are:
1. The used space on the 256 gb SSD is around 41gb for the install from the Unibeast USB. This should be more like 6 to 7 gb. What is causing this?
2. The wifi/bluetooth pci card which came with the motherboard is not detected. Does this card work natively? Is there a kext for this card?
3. The login screen from wakeup from sleep is very sluggish. Setting the bios for EZ Rapid Start, enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference in the wakeup being less sluggish.

If there are any suggestions on ratifying the above, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't think the WiFi from the motherboard is supposed to work. On Hackintoshes, it's pretty much extraneous.

The 41 GB problem is really weird. You can use something like Grand Perspective to see what parts of Mac OS X are taking up the most space, though.

I went and installed the OS from the Unibeast USB to the other SSD and the install size is 6.6 gb. So the 41 gb of used space on the 256 gb SSD is definitely an problem.

I also used the "get info" for each of the main folders on the original install on the first SSD and the sum of the space for each folder is 7.5 gb. I am not sure where the other 33.5 gb of storage went on my SSD.

Based on the searches on the web and this site, I guess this card is not natively compatible. Too bad.

I went and installed the OS from the Unibeast USB to the other SSD and the install size is 6.6 gb. So the 41 gb of used space on the 256 gb SSD is definitely an problem.

I also used the "get info" for each of the main folders on the original install on the first SSD and the sum of the space for each folder is 7.5 gb. I am not sure where the other 33.5 gb of storage went on my SSD.

Based on the searches on the web and this site, I guess this card is not natively compatible. Too bad.

The UP5 TH included wi-fi card is definitely UNsupported (I even tried replacing the mini-pci-e wifi card on the PCI-e adapter with a supported one (Atheros 9285) and it still wouldn't work). Get the recommended TP-Link TL-WDN4800. It works straight out of the box.

-bth

I seemed to have isolated the issue with the Unibeast install of OSX where it consumes 41 gb of space on my SSD.

I have two versions of Unibeast 1.5.3 install USB sticks, one with 10.8.2 and one with 10.8.1. The one which consumed the 41gb was the 10.8.2. I just completed an install using the 10.8.1 unibeast stick and the install size is where is should be at 6-7 gb of space.

So...is there a problem with Unibeast 1.5.3 with 10.8.2 when installing on a Samsung 840 Pro SSD? or is my install usb stick corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back