Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
ASUS GTX 980 TI (OC)
Hi guys, I'm preparing a new build, my 3rd, but I'm not an expert so I'm open to suggestion.
It's going to be a video editing and color machine, main work with 4k (or higher) raw files.
I need a workhorse, so that's the configuration i was thinking:

Motherboard: GA-X99P-SLI
Cpu: I7-6850K
Gpu: GTX 1080 Ti (X2)
Ram: 64 Gb 3333mhz Corsair Vengance (4x16)
System: SSD 960 EVO 1TB
Storage (raid 0): X3 HGST Ultrastar 3tb

No idea on: case, liquid cooling system and power supply...

Like I said I'm not an expert, so if you notice problem(s) with this build or any advice/suggestion is welcome.
Thank you!

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, If used for 4k horsepower, I suggest you spend a money in one more SSD 256GB to store a Cache files for Adobe CC, will be your rig more faster (And will expand life of your system SSD).
Buy a Watercooler with two fans like a Seidon 240v (i have one, love it) or Corsair H100i similar, compatible with your socket. I don't like DIY watercoolers...
In GPUs, think to buy with liquidcooler integrated too ;-)
For power, a 1200w is a require for 2 GPUs + Raid with 3 disks+SSD System+SSD temp files
A good Full Tower case, like CoolerMaster Storm (love it) or Cosmo, Corsair Graphite or Obsidian Series.
And don't forget a external case or external drive to backups.

In my Rig has a Samsung Evo SSD for a system and APP and a Kingston SSD for a cache files. For works, I have a 2x1TB Raid 0 HDD, works well.

Runaway from SSHDD, it's terrible and aways hangs (it's a wast of time!). In Raid they just don't work, it's a shame, doesn't build to work in Raid!

So, If used for 4k horsepower, I suggest you spend a money in one more SSD 256GB to store a Cache files for Adobe CC, will be your rig more faster (And will expand life of your system SSD).
<snip>

For my (so far, hypothetical, linked below) build, I was thinking of graduating later to 2x M.2 SSDs raided together, to create an even-faster boot volume.

Would using the 2nd SSD for cache files as zangadao suggests, provide a bigger performance improvement? In my case the cache files would be Resolve’s, or possibly FCPX’s.

Motherboard
GA-Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For my (so far, hypothetical, linked below) build, I was thinking of graduating later to 2x M.2 SSDs raided together, to create an even-faster boot volume.

Would using the 2nd SSD for cache files as zangadao suggests, provide a bigger performance improvement? In my case the cache files would be Resolve’s, or possibly FCPX’s.

OHH Yeah, I forgot the m.2 drives! Sorry about, it's much better instead of SSD Sata!

The secondary SSD for Cache files works well for Adobe CC and Resolve (configure drivers in preferences) and besides the real performance improvement (if your default cache files will be a SSD system disk), the real propose is keep your system disk lifespan (because the cache files can be overcome the Daily DWPD). I prefer work in this model, has a two SSD in my Rig.
I don't know in FCPX (I jus't Stop using in FCP7), because the dawn Library process they used, but if the cache file remains in RAID 0 drive, the performance will not be so great than SSD.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The SATA M.2 SSDs are supported (vs. NVMe which requires RehabMan's patcher-nvme and spoof SSDT).

Status
Not open for further replies.