Contribute
Register

New build for Music production & light video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! What I have any issues if I followed your build using an Asus Prime Z390 or should I do the same 370?
Hmm I can't speak to z390. I'm sure you can work it out but I'd have to say roll with the @CaseySJ's z390 build if thats the case.

Actually, all together thats your best option and quite affordable.

Then again, you can go up to z490 and follow his other build. Whats most important is you have a build that is supported well by the community.

Hmm I can't speak to z390. I'm sure you can work it out but I'd have to say roll with the @CaseySJ's z390 build if thats the case.

Actually, all together thats your best option and quite affordable.

Then again, you can go up to z490 and follow his other build. Whats most important is you have a build that is supported well by the community.
It seems Asus Z390/Z490 boards are more readily available in his region...

Yes the Asus boards are cheaper and more available. I did find the GA z390 Designare but it’s $450 USD.

I can however, get the GA Z490 Vision G for half that price. The Asus prime z390 is even less.

You require Firewire but mostly discuss boards with Thunderbolt. Do you want/need Thunderbolt in itself, or is it only a way to attach a Firewire-to-Thunderbolt adapter?
In the latter case, all you actually need is a free PCIe x1 slot (can be wider of course), and a Firewire card based on a TI chipset: These work out of the box with OS X—and you don't have to care about Thunderbolt, which makes for an easier setup and widely expand your choice of possible boards.
Yes thank you, sorry I wasn’t more clear about this. I have an old FireWire audio device that I want to keep using, but I have my eyes on an Apollo for the future.

I just checked and GA z390 AORUS, pro/elite/gaming are all available.
But that doesn’t match your build exactly.

I just checked and GA z390 AORUS, pro/elite/gaming are all available.
But that doesn’t match your build exactly.
If you see Post 1 and Post 3 of this HackinDROM App thread, you'll see that OpenCore EFI folders are available for these boards, which includes the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro and Z390 Gaming M. We can help you with any board on this list (red boxes are builds contributed by members; the others are my builds):

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 4.14.00 PM copy.png

If you plan to use a Thunderbolt-based UAD Apollo, please choose a motherboard with a Thunderbolt Header! Then you can install a GC-Titan Ridge or GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt card into a PCIe x4 Slot.
  • Asus Z490 ProArt Creator has on-board Thunderbolt
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D and Z390 Designare both have on-board Thunderbolt
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G has Thunderbolt Header
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro has Thunderbolt Header
  • Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming has Thunderbolt Header

If you see Post 1 and Post 3 of this HackinDROM App thread, you'll see that OpenCore EFI folders are available for these boards, which includes the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro and Z390 Gaming M. We can help you with any board on this list (red boxes are builds contributed by members; the others are my builds):

View attachment 519293
If you plan to use a Thunderbolt-based UAD Apollo, please choose a motherboard with a Thunderbolt Header! Then you can install a GC-Titan Ridge or GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt card into a PCIe x4 Slot.
  • Asus Z490 ProArt Creator has on-board Thunderbolt
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D and Z390 Designare both have on-board Thunderbolt
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G has Thunderbolt Header
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro has Thunderbolt Header
  • Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming has Thunderbolt Header
Thank you so much for the assistance and input, the amount of help I’ve gotten already is amazing. What a great community!

I am torn between the GA Z490 Vision G, and the Asus ProArt Z490 Creator (or Prime Z490A). I see good build guides to follow here including a nice looking one from Stork. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tor-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.305775/

I don't use any TB3 devices right now, but I'd like to be able to and it would be nice to not use up a slot with an AIC. More importantly though, is that my build is stable and has a trouble free install.

If I was going to build my system today I would build a GA system, with an add in card. While you can get the Asus AIC to work and @NorthAmTransAm can help you along the way. The GC Titan cards have more adopters than the Asus EX cards. Thunderbolt 4 is not really different then TB3 other then it supports 2 4k or 1 8K monitor and has a larger PCI-E threw put requirement. However, both of them are 40 Gbps of bandwidth.

Due to the price and availability of graphics cards, am I correct in assuming I can proceed with either of those builds without a dGPU and add one later?
Correct unless you have a card that is supported, you can pick up a RX560 for around $250 and some older Nvidia cards that have native Mac Drivers as part of the OS. I also hear that AMD puts cards up on their site for MSRP a few times a month. SO if you got the time to be a stalker and the cash ready it is possible to score a card. Careful with the 6000 series cards as they will only work in OS 11.4 and only the 6800/6900 and xt variant. However the 6700 and xt variant do not work in 11.4 from what I understand.

Last edited:
If I was going to build my system today I would build a GA system, with an add in card. While you can get the Asus AIC to work and @NorthAmTransAm can help you along the way. The GC Titan cards have more adopters than the Asus EX cards. Thunderbolt 4 is not really different then TB3 other then it supports 2 4k or 1 8K monitor and has a larger PCI-E threw put requirement. However, both of them are 40 Gbps of bandwidth.

Correct unless you have a card that is supported, you can pick up a RX560 for around $250 and some older Nvidia cards that have native Mac Drivers as part of the OS. I also hear that AMD puts cards up on their site for MSRP a few times a month. SO if you got the time to be a stalker and the cash ready it is possible to score a card. Careful with the 6000 series cards as they will only work in OS 11.4 and only the 6800/6900 and xt variant. However the 6700 and xt variant do not work in 11.4 from what I understand.
Thank you. Yes, at this point I think I’ll just go with the gigabyte Z490 vision G and follow the golden build by @CaseySJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back