Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z270X-UD3
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K
Graphics
ASUS RADEON RX560 2GB OC
Hello, I am planning on building a new machine that I want to use mainly for audio production (Logic Pro X; Ableton Live) and as a general daily runner. I've done 2 machines in the past that are running to this day (mavericks and el capitan) but they were not builds intended to be hackintosh compatible in the first place. I want to make it dual boot with Windows 10 LTSB alongside Mac OS. I am no tech guy by all means, this is what I could came up with as a config:

Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P (rev. 1.0), Z270, LGA1151
CPU: Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7500, LGA1151, 3.4GHz (Intel HD 600)
RAM: DDR4 8GB 2666MHz CL16 Ballistix Sport LT Gray Crucial
SSD: Crucial 275GB MX300, SATA3, 2.5", 7mm, CT275MX300SSD1
HDD: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda ST1000DM010 SATA3 64MB 7200rpm
Optical Drive: DVD-RW LG GH24NSD1
PSU: Corsair Builder Series™ CX500 V2 — 80 PLUS
GPU: nVidia Gigabyte GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD, GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB GDDR5, 128 bit, Dual-link DVI-D, 3x
HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.4

Case: NZXT Source 530, Full Tower, Matte Black
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 21, 1366/1155/1156/1151/1150/775,
FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2

I want to use the SSD to install Sierra on it and the Seagate Barracuda to install Windows 10 LTSB on it and store my samples, will it be a problem to access them on Mac OS ? I know that Mac OS can read from it, but not write to a NTFS formatted drive without installing 3rd party software or enabling apple's experimental NTFS-Write support. What would be a good solution to this ? Use seperate drives for the samples and windows ?

Is this an overall good build that I will have as little as trouble setting up ? Afaik sleep doesn't work on this MB and I can't seem to find if it is fixable with some DSDT patch. I want to use HDMI and displayport will I have problems with them ?

Recommendations for swapping out the Motherboard, PSU and ATX compatible cases are welcome.

It looks like you've got a solid list of components and I don't think you'll have any problems with getting macOS up and running.

As for having a drive that accessible to both Windows and macOS, there are multiple options:
1. Install software that allows you to read/write NTFS on macOS.
2. Install software that allows you to read/write HFS+ on Windows.
3. Use ExFAT format on the drive.
4. Usa a NAS for your samples.

I've personally stayed away from option #1 because I'd read about people having problems with the drivers. But that was a long time ago and I don't know if recent version have the issues resolved.

I've seen MacDrive work on a Windows computer and it seemed to work well.

ExFAT seems to be the easiest solution to me.

Using a NAS offers many more benefits but might be more costly and you would have another external device...

DisplayPort and HDMI should not be a problem. The only thing that you should be aware of is that macOS does not support 4K@60Hz over HDMI. 4K@30Hz over HDMI is fine. DisplayPort is very well supported.

Thanks for your reply. ExFAT really seems like the easiest approach to the problem. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back