Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

It's been about 8 years since I've worked on anything Hackintosh-related, and I've been doing lots of research the past few months before finally arriving upon a build that will bring me back into the scene.

I'm going to use this post as a place to document everything as I figure out all the specifics for the motherboard and everything. As of today, I've just ordered all the parts, so it'll be at least a week or so until things get started. Here are the specs for the build:

- ASRock Z390 PHANTOM Gaming-ITX/ac
- Intel i7-9700K
- G.SKILL Ripjaws 2 x 16GB (32GB) 3200mhz
- Broadcom BCM94352Z

I'm still looking at graphics cards options and haven't picked one up yet, so I plan to work everything out with the iGPU in the meantime.

Looking forward to getting started, see you again soon!

Are you planning to replace the bundled intel wifi card with BCM94352Z?
I'm wondering if it's possible to use a none cnvi card with this mobo.

The motherboard looks really great, though.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info.
Now I'm expecting all ASRock Z390 motherboards to support non-CNVi wifi.

And have you decided the chassis?
If not, here is a good one:
https://www.louqe.com/

Are you planning to replace the bundled intel wifi card with BCM94352Z?
I'm wondering if it's possible to use a none cnvi card with this mobo.

The motherboard looks really great, though.

Yes, I have replaced the onboard wifi/bluetooth card with BCM94352Z from fenvi. Installation was very easy -- just remove the screw on the bottom and detach the CMOS battery before pulling the enclosure (and thus the card) up off the motherboard.

So far, the build is good enough for regular use, but there is plenty ahead to fix, roughly in order of my priority:

1. AppleLPC is not loading -- currently working on this as I wonder if it will fix #2.

2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uetooth-probs-at-startup.266707/#post-1867974

3. DRM decoding (e.g. iTunes Movie DRM playback) does not work with the dedicated AMD card under 10.14.1, but I suspect that is due to an issue specific to 10.14.1 that I found documented on another website I cannot link to. I was able to get decoding working on the iGPU without the dedicated card installed, but iGPU faced issues at sleep/wake (blue snow / static at wake) that I didn't fix before receiving an RX 580.

4. Sleep initially improved to perfection with the RX 580 (or so I thought), but longer sleep periods cause the computer to wake to a frozen login screen (with or without PowerNap / darkwake), probably at the equivalent sleep state that I faced iGPU issues. As a temporary fix, I could probably disable that level of sleep through `pmset`, but I've decided to disable sleep as I don't leave the machine on outside of working and hope to get sleep fully going later.

5. Continuity probably doesn't work, because I haven't bothered to get the Bluetooth on the BCM94352Z to work. Wifi works with the card though, through the various methods available (FakePCI or AirportBcrmFixup)

6. The chipset / XHC controller 8086,a36d is not supported by XHCI-unsupported.kext, so I've instead went the USBInjectAll route. Specifically under 10.14.1, even with the updated AppleUSBXCHI patches, I am unable to inject more than 15 ports, so I've configured USBInjectAll for all USB ports on the motherboard and the BCM94352Z. This means the chassis USB ports are not available. Because I don't like kernel arguments, I've updated the IOKitPersonalities inside the kext instead -- I don't recommend this, but from all the documentation I've read, it should be safe, and I'm curious to find out.

EDIT: I'm cleaning up my Clover files and plan to at least submit some proper Problem Reporting files to #2 or a related post this weekend. If anyone has input on any of these issues before I get to them, I'm all ears.

Hey thanks for the info.
Now I'm expecting all ASRock Z390 motherboards to support non-CNVi wifi.

And have you decided the chassis?
If not, here is a good one:
https://www.louqe.com/

This is a really beautiful case, I am thinking of scaling down to something that size but for now I am in an older Thermaltake V1.

Hi,
Thanks for being of those who take the « risks » with latest parts, helping things go on...

Why 352Z instead of native and no hassle 360 with m2 adaptor?
Matter of room in enclosure or number of antennas?

Yes, I have replaced the onboard wifi/bluetooth card with BCM94352Z from fenvi. Installation was very easy -- just remove the screw on the bottom and detach the CMOS battery before pulling the enclosure (and thus the card) up off the motherboard.

So far, the build is good enough for regular use, but there is plenty ahead to fix, roughly in order of my priority:

1. AppleLPC is not loading -- currently working on this as I wonder if it will fix #2.

2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uetooth-probs-at-startup.266707/#post-1867974

3. DRM decoding (e.g. iTunes Movie DRM playback) does not work with the dedicated AMD card under 10.14.1, but I suspect that is due to an issue specific to 10.14.1 that I found documented on another website I cannot link to. I was able to get decoding working on the iGPU without the dedicated card installed, but iGPU faced issues at sleep/wake (blue snow / static at wake) that I didn't fix before receiving an RX 580.

4. Sleep initially improved to perfection with the RX 580 (or so I thought), but longer sleep periods cause the computer to wake to a frozen login screen (with or without PowerNap / darkwake), probably at the equivalent sleep state that I faced iGPU issues. As a temporary fix, I could probably disable that level of sleep through `pmset`, but I've decided to disable sleep as I don't leave the machine on outside of working and hope to get sleep fully going later.

5. Continuity probably doesn't work, because I haven't bothered to get the Bluetooth on the BCM94352Z to work. Wifi works with the card though, through the various methods available (FakePCI or AirportBcrmFixup)

6. The chipset / XHC controller 8086,a36d is not supported by XHCI-unsupported.kext, so I've instead went the USBInjectAll route. Specifically under 10.14.1, even with the updated AppleUSBXCHI patches, I am unable to inject more than 15 ports, so I've configured USBInjectAll for all USB ports on the motherboard and the BCM94352Z. This means the chassis USB ports are not available. Because I don't like kernel arguments, I've updated the IOKitPersonalities inside the kext instead -- I don't recommend this, but from all the documentation I've read, it should be safe, and I'm curious to find out.

EDIT: I'm cleaning up my Clover files and plan to at least submit some proper Problem Reporting files to #2 or a related post this weekend. If anyone has input on any of these issues before I get to them, I'm all ears.

Did you ever end up getting sleep working properly? It is the last thing on my build that eludes me.

Hi,
Thanks for being of those who take the « risks » with latest parts, helping things go on...

Why 352Z instead of native and no hassle 360 with m2 adaptor?
Matter of room in enclosure or number of antennas?

352Z fit and worked as a replacement for the onboard Wi-Fi card. I'd rather keep the M.2 slots available. EDIT: I see what you mean now, I am not sure if there is room in the enclosure, it does seem like adding an adapter might cut it close. It might be possible but I haven't checked the measurements.

Did you ever end up getting sleep working properly? It is the last thing on my build that eludes me.

Yes I did, but I haven't worked with the Nvidia cards at all. I have sleep working with iGPU only and with an RX 580, each configured slightly differently. Do you use any special ig-platform-id for your iGPU? That if need be, and proper SMBIOS selection seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back