Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither one of the keyboards are cheap they are both over $100 :-/ so yea.
I've been through both types over the years including a stint with a microsoft ergo keyboard (carpal tunnel or at least nerve issues), so I feel ya.

But mainly my point is the screams about e.g. 'apple charges $100 for a keyboard!" (or whatever the krik du jour is) are off base. Good quality keyboards are not cheap - and frankly the time spent figuring out what is a good keyboard is a cost, too. (Irony their main laptop keyboard was so mediocre and problematic for so long- that kept me from buying).

And that general quality for a premium largely holds true across a lot of different product offerings with apple. (I'm still disappointed they dropped the airport / wifi routers - I haven't found a comparable set of router offerings that are as simple, reliable and functional at a reasonable price as the airport series. Still using several of them. They were never as whiz bang on features but man, so many routers from other companies are awful)

Sometimes specific apple products are really in a great sweet spot of price/quality/capability, sometimes less so. But it's pretty rare they're junk.

The importance of brand/marketing (that some make fun of): with brands I trust, I'll go out and plop down $100 for e.g. that (now mythical) keyboard without too much worry. Everyone has brands like that for clothes or whatever that works for them. That's not just marketing. (And sure, some companies eventually destroy their brand by making bad stuff - and they can't fix it by marketing genius)

Of course, not for everyone, do what you want, etc. I'm not a fanatic for apple stuff, just I've had better experiences with their stuff than any other company's over a long period of time.

Simple Thunderbolt 3 drive case is about TEN times more expensive than USB 3 case adapter.
Thunderbolt raid are terrible expensive. The cheapest desktop hackintosh is equipped with M.2/SSD slots ready for connecting other drives.
To be fair only about 3x as much for a drive case on the low end maybe 5x on the higher end. Sure raids are expensive no matter what interface you use. RAID is really to protect your data sure you can use it for speed but that is not really needed these days.

And that general quality for a premium largely holds true across a lot of different product offerings with apple. (I'm still disappointed they dropped the airport / wifi routers - I haven't found a comparable set of router offerings that are as simple, reliable and functional at a reasonable price as the airport series. Still using several of them. They were never as whiz bang on features but man, so many routers from other companies are awful)
I have an Airport Extreme, and two Air Port Expresses in service I do like them for ease of setup and wireless network extending. I also have some kind Asus router that my son is on make it easier to restrict stuff without causing me issues.

As Apple’s custom chips get faster and faster compared to Intel, at some point there’ll not really be much point of building a hackintosh anymore...

unless you want to run other operating systems like windows or Linux. But then on intel Macs/hackintosh, you’re not going to be able to run iOS and iPadOS apps...

overall, it seems incredible what Apple is doing. I’ll reserve judgement until we have final benchmarks. To me one thing that really sticks out is the massively improved battery life. Intel cannot compete here today. Maybe that’s what alder lake (and its hybrid successors) will bring?

The question is, will the rest of the pc industry want to transition from x86?? Probably not, but will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.
The first thing I thought of also was how this will impact the future hackintoshing, will be interesting for sure

Finally, here's a Youtuber that addresses the "Is 16GB of ram going to be enough for pro use ? " question. He doesn't go in depth into numbers but you can get the idea of what your experience will be like on an M1 Mac. The TL;DR is: 16GB of ram on a new m1 Mac is not the same as 16GB of ram on a PC laptop or desktop. 16GB on an M1 Mac goes a lot farther. Once Apple releases a 16" M1 MBP I'd guess that 32GB of ram will be the highest upgrade and that should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

In this video you can see some actual ram usage numbers in activity monitor during laptop use.

Last edited:
To be fair only about 3x as much for a drive case on the low end maybe 5x on the higher end. Sure raids are expensive no matter what interface you use. RAID is really to protect your data sure you can use it for speed but that is not really needed these days.

A simple USB 3.0 case for one SSD drive cost about 10$. I dont see any Thunderbolt case below 100$ . I must buy second hand (five or six years old) Lacie (TH/USB3.0) case (one drive) for test only but for 100$. New one cost about 300$. Of course is no sense to use one ssd drive TH case because speed is the same as USB3.0.

In this video you can see some actual ram usage numbers in activity monitor during laptop use.
It is not ultra clear how much of a swap he has going looks like a couple of gigs. I mean the performance is good my wife has a 2019 MacBook Air and it is not the best. Her work gave it to her because she kept not having a camera for zoom meetings but the computer or zoom does not support back grounds with it. She also said it does not work well with all the stuff she likes to have open for work so we went and got her a camera.

A simple USB 3.0 case for one SSD drive cost about 10$. I dont see any Thunderbolt case below 100$ . I must buy second hand (five or six years old) Lacie (TH/USB3.0) case (one drive) for test only but for 100$. New one cost about 300$. Of course is no sense to use one ssd drive TH case because speed is the same as USB3.0.
If you only using a standard SSD there is no reason for TB3 because as you said Standard SSD is only as fast as USB3.0. However, here are some for NVME drives.

Here are two NVME drive cases:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FT59SB6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

There are some slightly cheaper ones but I would spend the extra 15 or 20 to get the sebrent just because my experience has been good. I also like the aluminum enclosure that acts like a heat sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back