Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I must say, if people are really that tied to bootcamp and Windows, I would question using a Mac in the first place.

I don't care for bootcamp as that was exactly my sediment in the first place when I changed to Mac. In my mind if I had to reboot to windows to use windows what was the point? However, I do need to use windows call me lazy if you like but I have two options, the first is run windows in a VM (this is the option I have choose). The second option is learn new software that runs native on Mac "Archicad or Vector works". I have made attempts to change to those programs, but what I need to fully commit to a change the developers are not willing to provide. They want me to commit $3000 to purchase the software to learn it instead of providing me with a student copy to learn it. In addition to that I would have to maintain a LIC for Revit for at least a few years after I changed or forfeit the ability to work with recent projects that may require some modifications. I am hoping parallels gets a ARM based VM going to allow me to continue on my path uninterrupted but I am also prepared to go back to having a headless windows box in a closet that I maintain and access from the Mac via remote access of some kind. The best part of the parallels VM is that the two operating system work in parallel it allows Revit to work in almost a native manor; while the remote requires some alteration to my work flow.

Last edited:
Which part of an Intel 10900K is repairable?

In my twenty years experience dont see any broken Intel CPU ) But on macroumors forum folks write about brick/broken M1 computers soon as when arrive !
Apple downgrade computers to smartfon level. So after warranty throw in the trash if broken and buy another one .

It's Intel who has reached a peak on 14nm+++++++++++.

ARM has never been at this level of performance . Give an one an example of ARM CPU comparable to highend Intel CPU. Nethertheless every year is an increase in Intels's performance.
10 gen Intel CPU is almost 40% faster than 9 gen.

No argument from me. Apple has always charged too much for RAM and storage.

Yes You can buy THREE 500 GB M.2 drives plus 250 GB for one apple upgrade to 500 GB )

Apple is a master of advertising .

I am hoping parallels gets a ARM based VM going to allow me to continue on my path uninterrupted but I am also prepared to go back to having a headless windows box in a closet that I maintain and access from the Mac via remote access of some kind.
Looks like Paralells will make your wish come true in 2021.

Good news: A new version of Parallels Desktop for Mac that can run on Mac with Apple M1 chip is already in active development. Since WWDC, our new version of Parallels Desktop which runs on Mac with Apple M1 chip has made tremendous progress. We switched Parallels Desktop to universal binary and optimized its virtualization code; and the version that we are eager to try on these new MacBook Air, Mac mini and MacBook Pro 13″ looks very promising. Parallels is also amazed by the news from Microsoft about adding support of x64 applications in Windows on ARM.

Last edited:
Looks like Paralells will make your wish come true in 2021.
Yes I have seen that but details limited and how are they going to handle the x64 apps is also a concern... Because once you Vertulize the OS, are you then going to be emulating the x64 apps onto ARM.

Intel has gone down the shitter hard and quick the past 5 years, but at least they are now very diverse and progressive!

I picked up the Mac mini today at the Apple Store. I got the mini with 8GB of system ram and a 512GB SSD. My hackintosh runs nicely, but I have been noticing stuttering in scrolling web pages in my hack. The graphics on the mini look as good here as they do on my hack. I have only added a fresh copy of Logic Pro X from the App Store. The DAW downloaded pretty fast, but the samples, patches and loops took awhile. I have a 400 GB Spectrum modem and router. The thing I really notice here is the responsiveness of this Mac mini. Logic Pro X is an Apple app, so it is fine tuned for this M-1 processor. I will be checking out photoshop tomorrow. I understand it is not yet optimized for the M-1. It'll be interesting to see how it runs on this mini. Thus far I am impressed. I haven't had enough time to really check it out. I'm not a gamer. I surf the web, stream TV from the Spectrum TV App, Listen to music on Apple Music and on my vintage Pioneer SX-1050. I like to play around with Logic and edit photographs in Photoshop. That is what I spend most of my time doing. Sorry, I've just grown tired of having to reinstall everything in my hack with each new OS update. I figured it was time to invest in this machine and for the price and the bang for the buck, you can't beat it. That's my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

I picked up the Mac mini today at the Apple Store. I got the mini with 8GB of system ram and a 512GB SSD. My hackintosh runs nicely, but I have been noticing stuttering in scrolling web pages in my hack. The graphics on the mini look as good here as they do on my hack. I have only added a fresh copy of Logic Pro X from the App Store. The DAW downloaded pretty fast, but the samples, patches and loops took awhile. I have a 400 GB Spectrum modem and router. The thing I really notice here is the responsiveness of this Mac mini. Logic Pro X is an Apple app, so it is fine tuned for this M-1 processor. I will be checking out photoshop tomorrow. I understand it is not yet optimized for the M-1. It'll be interesting to see how it runs on this mini. Thus far I am impressed. I haven't had enough time to really check it out. I'm not a gamer. I surf the web, stream TV from the Spectrum TV App, Listen to music on Apple Music and on my vintage Pioneer SX-1050. I like to play around with Logic and edit photographs in Photoshop. That is what I spend most of my time doing. Sorry, I've just grown tired of having to reinstall everything in my hack with each new OS update. I figured it was time to invest in this machine and for the price and the bang for the buck, you can't beat it. That's my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

While I am totally for buying the M1 Mac mini, it sounds Odd to have to reinstall everything with each new OS update. Maybe update some kexts with a new version of the oS but even then. I went from High Sierra to Mojave to Catalina to Big Sur all without reinstalling anything. That is including running the beta for Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. I did however, use a clone to put the system back on Mojave during Catalina beta but that was because Catalina was messed up during beta and the TV app did not work, Apple Music did not work, and that was not ok.

I can't see myself still with a hackintosh in 2030. Heck, I highly doubt I'll still be on my hack in 2025. Sandy Bridge was released in 2011. How many people are still using those today? I used my 2010 MacPro5,1 until about 2015 and started feeling its age and became envious of newer tech. I also got tired of it causing street lights to flicker when I turned it on and the insane amount of heat it was spitting out of the rear.

Knowing that it's a dead end, I also have to wonder how much longer devs will continue to develop tools such as Clover and OpenCore up to date and working with future versions of macOS.

Some people will argue that Big Sur (and older) is working great and will continue to indefinitely. I remember seeing the same argument from people claiming Mountain Lion or High Sierra were the best versions of macOS and they would stay on it. There were also people who decided that it was more important to have Nvidia cards and stay on High Sierra. How many of those people do you think are still on those old versions of macOS? I don't know about you, but I want to be on the latest version of macOS. People still have Vic-20s in their closet that work great, you think they use them everyday?

When it comes time to upgrade, there's no way I'll be investing in a hack over an Apple Silicon Mac. For me, Windows or Linux are not options.
For me as a semi-pro DAW and Lightroom Classic user mostly, not much improved in MacOS since SnowLeopard/10.6.8. I upgraded to Mojave over the years because I got newer hardware and Apple arbitrarily cuts off compatibility with older OS-es. The latest Logic Pro will only run on Catalina and Big Sur, which means I will have to spend $1200 on hardware upgrades for my 2 Metric Halo interfaces and my screen calibrator. Argh.
Have you ever tried to get service on say a 7-year old MacPro from Apple? They check your serial number, if your Mac is older than 5 years, its bye bye, get a new one.
I like my stuff to last. I like stuff i can service myself. I don't want to be forced by the richest company in the world to follow their pace. Unfortunately, Linux is not there yet, and I doubt if it ever will. I keep trying, though, and will switch when possible.

In my twenty years experience dont see any broken Intel CPU ) But on macroumors forum folks write about brick/broken M1 computers soon as when arrive !
Apple downgrade computers to smartfon level. So after warranty throw in the trash if broken and buy another one .

I haven't seen widespread M1 Mac issues reported anywhere.

Any computer can come defective OOB.

Do you have a habit of throwing all your stuff away once warranty is over?

ARM has never been at this level of performance . Give an one an example of ARM CPU comparable to highend Intel CPU. Nethertheless every year is an increase in Intels's performance.
10 gen Intel CPU is almost 40% faster than 9 gen.

I just posted an article comparing Arm server CPUs to AMD and Intel CPUs go back a few pages a look.

It's Intel who has never released anything that performs at this level.

How much IPC increase have we seen from Intel in the last half decade. Other than tacking on more cores and making CPUs hotter and more power hungry, what has Intel done that impresses you so much?

Yes You can buy THREE 500 GB M.2 drives plus 250 GB for one apple upgrade to 500 GB )

I already agreed with you, no one will argue that Apple overcharges for RAM and storage.

Apple is a master of advertising .

Why is being great at marketing a bad thing?
Why do you prefer to own products form companies with crappy marketing?

For me as a semi-pro DAW and Lightroom Classic user mostly, not much improved in MacOS since SnowLeopard/10.6.8. I upgraded to Mojave over the years because I got newer hardware and Apple arbitrarily cuts off compatibility with older OS-es. The latest Logic Pro will only run on Catalina and Big Sur, which means I will have to spend $1200 on hardware upgrades for my 2 Metric Halo interfaces and my screen calibrator. Argh.
Have you ever tried to get service on say a 7-year old MacPro from Apple? They check your serial number, if your Mac is older than 5 years, its bye bye, get a new one.
I like my stuff to last. I like stuff i can service myself. I don't want to be forced by the richest company in the world to follow their pace. Unfortunately, Linux is not there yet, and I doubt if it ever will. I keep trying, though, and will switch when possible.

Yes. This has been true for a very long long time. Planned obsolescence of older hardware. Even back when Steve Jobs was still around and before Mac OS X, there were versions of Mac OS 9 that refused to install on older hardware without a bit of hacking.

I know. Even on older iPhones, Apple won't have parts to replace the battery.

I wish things were different too. I don't like it, but I can see why Apple does this from their perspective.

On newer Mac laptops, there really isn't much that can be repaired anyway. They have one tiny logic board where everything is soldered on and a battery. Unless you are skilled with a desoldering station and troubleshooting, there really isn't much that average users can repair if something goes wrong.

The way I see it is, all these products Apple sells are disposable. They are expected to be in service 5-7 years. By that point, these devices are nearing the end of its useful lifespan. For example, 2013 vintage iPhones and iMacs were the iPhone 5c and iMac14,x. Neither of which can be updated to the latest versions of their respective operating systems. While they can still do their jobs fine, their performance is dwarfed by new hardware.

I have an old 2007 Macmini2,1 that still works fine. I turned it on towards the beginning of the pandemic out of boredom and came to the conclusion that I really don't want to use that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back