Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
This btw was why relationship with nvidia fell apart. they refused to sub contractt to apple because it meant giving apple executive control over driver. One of terms of a contract would have been termination of web driver/gpus apple doesn't ship. The other thing is they are basiclly a yes sir no sir person. whatever apple says goes and you know nvidia, that wasn't happening. Anyways that's an old horse but we know how that story went. The finished 10.14 driver never saw light of day and apple blacklisted them forever. AMD however is very yes apple thank you apple company so I'm really hoping that contract is still going. I want to see big navy on macOS. In fact in general it's why AMD is so good at nailing contracts. sony and microsoft have been a huge win for them too. AMD doesn't have the smug arrogance that nvdia has.
Better be careful talking bad about Nvidia might get some peoples panties in a bunch. Because you know it was big bad apple that did Nvidia wrong!

Hello everybody, I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, software update with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas, my question is when Big Sur final release tomorrow 12 November is it possible to update to big Sur from Catalina from system preferences just doing software update from system preferences without any configuration in the clover or anywhere else using the same clover I have on Catalina? (I have Graphic card Nvidia GeForce 710 that works great with Catalina), ?

Last edited:
Apple don’t product any CPU/GPU. They can order ARM CPU/GPU and named it
like M1, M5 or M10.

Microcomputers equipped with "smartphone" ARM CPU/GPU it is very OLD idea.
I use for a many years Odroid XU4 8 cores ARM CPU with linux/android OS.
Cost about 45 $ …Maybe I can change it to hackintosh soon )

Why Apple go to ARM CPU/GPU ? Because SoC are very very cheap.
For example You can buy basic 20 $ SoC add another components
and made/sale microcomputer for 900$.
Many apps for iOS will be ready to use for new macmini9 but it is not
a machine for professional use (FinalCutpro , Logic etc).

It is "golden years" for hackintosh now )

Apple don’t product any CPU/GPU. They can order ARM CPU/GPU and named it
like M1, M5 or M10.

Microcomputers equipped with "smartphone" ARM CPU/GPU it is very OLD idea.
I use for a many years Odroid XU4 8 cores ARM CPU with linux/android OS.
Cost about 45 $ …Maybe I can change it to hackintosh soon )

Why Apple go to ARM CPU/GPU ? Because SoC are very very cheap.
For example You can buy basic 20 $ SoC add another components
and made/sale microcomputer for 900$.
Many apps for iOS will be ready to use for new macmini9 but it is not
a machine for professional use (FinalCutpro , Logic etc).

It is "golden years" for hackintosh now )

Even AMD doesn't manufacture any CPUs or GPUs.

How does your Exynos compare to the A-series SoCs from Apple? Intel CPUs cost more than AMD CPUs. Does that make them better?

What company doesn't try to reduce cost? More expensive doesn't always mean better. You don't think Intel wishes they are able to produce Xeons for $45? If they sold Xeons for $45 would that make them crappier?

I paid about $520 for my first i9-990K and then about $340 for my second i9-9900K. They seem to be about the same to me...

How do you know how well or poorly FCPX and Logic run on the Apple Silicon Macs? They seemed to run great in the announcement.

Do you think Apple is stupid enough to sell machines that run FCPX and Logic like crap? Don't you think Apple knows how users are using their Macs?

How is being able to run iOS apps in addition to Mac apps a disadvantage?

Apple dropped Intel because Intel sat on their laurels and did no innovating for years. They have been stuck on 14nm for over half a decade and their CPUs can't compete in heat, power consumption, and efficiency anymore. Apple Silicon is on 5nm and Intel can't even get 10nm right.

Try sticking an Amazon Graviton in to your cellphone.

Last edited:
From Motorola to Inter and now to AMD.
Apple's history is always the latest change.

Intel is expensive now, but I don't feel the speed.
Compatibility is good though.

How quickly will the current app switch to AMD? ..
Until then, I have to put up with it.

The user will decide if it is easy to use.

It is lonely that the fun of Hacintosh disappears.

Probably the last move we can do is to see how a Ryzen Zen3 5950X CPU compares with a 2021's M2 chip which will likely be in new iMacs but, indeed, it's end of the game after that. Even if our machines will last probably 3 years or more after that. Then I'll probably need to open up my piggy bank!!! :banghead:

Hello everybody, I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, software update with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas, my question is when Big Sur final release tomorrow 12 November is it possible to update to big Sur from Catalina from system preferences just doing software update from system preferences without any configuration in the clover or anywhere else using the same clover I have on Catalina? (I have Graphic card Nvidia GeForce 710 that works great with Catalina), ?
No it is not. I just finished updating to Clover 5126, which requires switching to the Open Core Runtime efi to handle memory allocation rather than the Aptio fixes. It took a while to makes sense of the changes, but they will work. There are threads on this. Read before attempting.

Hackintosh is like drum&bass, every year it's suppose to die but it doesn't.

In the time I've been hackintoshing, I never thought hackintoshing would die until Apple dropped Intel.

How are you going to hackintosh if macOS no longer supports X86-64?

Yeah... Building is a hobby, and like a pet requiring attention. I will keep my current machine going, but for my needs, the Mini is plenty good, and probably about what it would cost to build an equivalent new one from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back