Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably don't have any ARM drivers for AMD and/or Nvidia cards.
Exactly! That's my thought as well. Linux has ARM drivers for the cards but those are written by the companies that wish to support them I don't know how great ARM AMD drivers are in the wild. In fact I don't know if thuderbolt is used in ARM anywhere as well (don't think so.)

Apple uses USB 4 instead of USB4 across the website. Since USB4 is a trademark of USB-IF, does it mean that Apple uses the non-standard ports?

Apple uses USB 4 instead of USB4 across the website. Since USB4 is a trademark of USB-IF, does it mean that Apple uses the non-standard ports?
Apple is saying Thunderbolt 3 / USB 4 ports so that means they still pay Intel a licensing fee. The USB-IF says that USB4 can be backward compatible with Intel’s Thunderbolt 3, which also uses Type-C connectors. That makes sense since USB4 incorporates Thunderbolt 3’s specifications. Thunderbolt 3 support is not mandatory for USB4, however. While Intel gave the USB-IF free use of the Thunderbolt 3 spec, it did not offer free use of the Thunderbolt 3 name.

Any device manufacturer that wants to advertise its USB4 ports as backward compatible with Thunderbolt 3 will need to be certified by Intel. On the Apple.com website they say Thunderbolt 3.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
Till now AMD was giving headaches to Intel but now the almighty Apple. All these years Intel was getting away just because AMD cpu still consumes more power than Intel. Now we should definitely wait till actual benchmark is out but what Apple promises about power consumption and performance I'm sure it will match. Also the new Mac Mini price will attract a lot of PC users for sure.

The most surprising thing is Intel still stuck on 10nm chips whereas Apple starts with 5nm. Each year they just release a higher(numerical :lol:) version, with no drastic change on performance or power consumption. Pretty disappointing products I must say.

Now Intel should sit and think what will be their next approach as the order of Intel cpu from Apple's side will end in 2 years. It will definitely affect their stock price unless they launches a 5nm cpu which performs better not only AMD but also Apple's ARM.

They probably don't have any ARM drivers for AMD and/or Nvidia cards.
Possible, at very least I very much doubt nvdia driver will ever exist. They aren't touching that ever again. AMD though i'll have to poke around to see if they are still contracting them. for AMD, apple has AMD driver guy work directly and report to them at the apple campus (well I guess from home during covid?). It's done via sub contracting. They work for AMD but are on loan to apple so they basically work at apple. Because of this super close relationship I'd find it unlikely ther isn't an arm driver unless apple terminted contract (which is very possible).

This btw was why relationship with nvidia fell apart. they refused to sub contractt to apple because it meant giving apple executive control over driver. One of terms of a contract would have been termination of web driver/gpus apple doesn't ship. The other thing is they are basiclly a yes sir no sir person. whatever apple says goes and you know nvidia, that wasn't happening. Anyways that's an old horse but we know how that story went. The finished 10.14 driver never saw light of day and apple blacklisted them forever. AMD however is very yes apple thank you apple company so I'm really hoping that contract is still going. I want to see big navy on macOS. In fact in general it's why AMD is so good at nailing contracts. sony and microsoft have been a huge win for them too. AMD doesn't have the smug arrogance that nvdia has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back