Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
egpu is a huge elephant in room and many were hoping todays event addressed it. Then silently removing it from supported accessories is troubling too. first gen or not, these should support egpu (and maybe they do, but apple needs to clarify one way or another and the silence is troubling).

I literally had one of these in checkout. I was one click from buying when I saw the tweet and closed cart. I want one of these for travel/work but when at home i want to plug it into an egpu
Just my thoughts, but I don't think it's removed but not ported yet. Again a lot of assumption (even on my side.)

For the record I have an eGPU on my MacBook Pro 16 so I hear you for sure.

Apple is going to push their own GPUs on silicon:
During its presentation, Apple also quietly pointed out that the M1’s storage controller means you’ll see SSD performance twice as fast as before – there’s lots more to say about these machines individually, but the fact that a Mac mini now runs an XDR display and can render a complex Final Cut Pro timeline up to 6x faster…
M1 Apple Silicon
This expression is overused, but it really is a game changer.

Last edited:
$200 to go from 256 SSD to 512 SSD and everything else remains the same? Not a serious contender to replace a desktop PC. Only for people firmly in the Apple ecosystem. Hope I'm wrong.

There are professionals using the Mac Pro who have populated every PCIe slot. Do Apple's SoCs even have the ability to support that much PCIe expansion?

Don't see why not to be honest.

They can totally design an external PCIe controller and do a few products with that, and then make it part of the SoC later. Same goes for virtually everything else hardware-wise.

On laptops or Mini you want the SoC to do everything due to size, but once you get to the desktop scenario you can go all out.

The whole exercise is about Apple designing/owning all silicons, not that it has to be one chip for everything. Also the growth on Intel/AMD side of things is just way too slow for the past decade.

I'd like to see benchmark results in actual workload before I take any interest in buying a mac again. These "3x" performance statements etc, rarely apply in real world tests and should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion. I also thought they would cut down the prices a bit seeing they create their own hardware, seems the opposite.

I'd like to see benchmark results in actual workload before I take any interest in buying a mac again. These "3x" performance statements etc, rarely apply in real world tests and should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion. I also thought they would cut down the prices a bit seeing they create their own hardware, seems the opposite.
Until we have some more benchmarks, this is helpful: Apple Silicon or discrete GPUs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The question for Hackintosh is where will the pro desktop land, which i/o and chips, and what support for current Mac pro users; will Apple build bridges or jump to a completely new pro vision?

16 gig of ram max is ouch. HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1 is meh.
But here is biggest killer at least based on supported accessories, egpu support is gone. if the future really is apple cpu/gpu only and they are killing off egpu, that doesn't bode well even if cpu is amazing. Now we still don't know what they will put inside an imac and mac pro, but if rumors are true that it's some kind of dedicated apple gpu, AMD will probably be kicked soon too, which is a shame because AMD is actually catching up and giving big nvidia a run, especially in value per dollar.

will their gpu be as good as AMD or nvidia, who knows, but point is it doesn't look like it's an upgradable one like an egpu is. internal only means truly the most throw away macs yet. full iphone dump and replace mode with down to literally zero upgradable internals and curtain closing on how much can be done externally.

They probably don't have any ARM drivers for AMD and/or Nvidia cards.

Until we have some more benchmarks, this is helpful: Apple Silicon or discrete GPUs?

For the average user I guess improvements may be more noticeable during average tasks (or not). But like @ironwood mentioned, where will the pro desktop land? For now it doesn't seem to compete with a dedicated GPU in more demanding tasks like VFX for example. If separate hardware for decoding becomes a thing (afterburner) then it means we'll have to have another overhaul of how the software will use hardware in video editing applications for example. GPUs has just now (the last years) started to become utilized in 3D rendering and VFX through ray-tracing for example. Lets see where it goes.

How many industries and companies have invested in the pro end of the range? Current pro kit aren’t exactly cheap for the work they are used for.

If the spec claims of the M1 are valid - speed, battery life etc, then low end and mobile users - MacBook and mac mini can benefit.

Like a few others have said, lets see what Apple release about the pro end of the market, it’s early days and we knew it was coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back