Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe next year they made dual CPU M1 Macs, it can replace i7-i9 Macs and quad CPU M1 to replace Mac Pro.

We'll get M2 and M4 :D

Disappointed with mac mini - i wanted a desktop that i could put in my pocket. I have never bought Apple hardware until now - ordered 16GB (add a week for del with this option), 7 core GPU Air, expected delivery 23/25th Nov in UK

EDIT: 14th Nov - changed to 16GB Pro, cos it seems like (but we will need to wait to show if true) they will have different power settings and the Air may be limited by heat dissipation at around 10 watts with the M1 working full out at about 15 watts. Delivery 8th-15th Dec

Last edited:
I want that Mac Mini like right now, so i can finally replace my HP G1 :O

Assuming that Apple can get their chip up to the performance level of an Intel chip, this will be the end of the Hackintosh. With that being said, I've been a Mac guy for a long time. I remember the 68k-PPC transition, as well as the PPC-Intel transition. There will be some growing pains with the transitions (though I imagine fewer growing pains than with the past two transitions).

Intel started selling the first Intel Macs on January 10th of 2006. They shuttered production of the PPC macs that same year with the Mac Pro being the last model to be discontinued in August of the same year. Apple did not introduce the first Intel only version of OS X until 10.6 Snow Leopard in August of 2009. Even after Snow Leopard was introduced, Apple supported 10.5 Leopard until June of 2011, and the PPC versions of Safari and iTunes until sometime in 2012.

As I'm sure many of you know, in general Apple seems to support hardware for about 5 years after the end of sale. There is no official date revealed by Apple, so you have to go by when security updates stop happening. I was shocked that Apple supported the PPC Macs for so long, even after software developers had effectively abandoned them.

It looks like this rollout is going to be a slow go. Aside from the issue of RAM limits with the SoC, I just don't think they have anything internal that can match what Intel can do on the pro side of things. Even if the Apple Silicon starts to match the top tier Intel chips, everyone is forgetting that the Mac Pro is a thing not because of its "blistering" performance (yes, I realize the performance isn't so blistering), but because of its expansion capabilities. There are professionals using the Mac Pro who have populated every PCIe slot. Do Apple's SoCs even have the ability to support that much PCIe expansion?

Yes, eventually this will end the Hackintosh, but I'm willing to bet we're going to have at least 3-5 years after the last Intel Mac is discontinued. Of course, there is a possibility that somehow Apple could manage to kill the Hackintosh with their "T" security chips, but we haven't seen that yet.

This transition will be longer, as much more (lots !) of Macs on hands worldwide. But I remember they through Rozetta very fast in later MacOS, I remember, when I can't start Warcraft III on new (maybe 10.7 or 10.8, don't remember exactly) MacOS.

I think about 2 major new MacOS versions they will make for Intel (in 2021 and 2022) and later 5-7 years will make security patches for them.

Performace of M1 maybe be lower than Intel, but it's enough for browser and most office work. Some powerfull encode applications can use accelerators built-in in M1, special instructions for such programs.

Sure they can make PCIe bus for M1 or for other powerfull M series chip, it's not hard, as PCIe is an open standart.

No any benchmarks now. Up to 3 X faster new macmini CPU 6X faster new macmini GPU ? Of course it is impossible. Fake news really fake news.

Faster in special programs, i think something like watching 8K60 Youtube movies, M1 have modern codecs for decode it and so it will be time faster, than older CPU based algoritm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back