Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I've never experienced this but I have seen others report similar issues. I don't know if they found fixes.

Even when I answer phone calls on my hackintosh via FaceTime, I don't have any audio issues.

Cheers, then there is hope. Gotta investigate more

Anyone experiencing sound issues? I sometimes get this glitched sound (like a really bad cell phone reception), and only a reboot will solve it. It‘s very random, and come at 2min after reboot or several hours. Very annoying.

Been there since Catalina.

Maybe @pastrychef knows about it?

(Running clover 5104 or so, latest catelina / weg etc.)

Hello,
Same for me : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-vii-and-new-amd-gpus-compatibility.269128/post-2062445

You don't have to reboot; try
Code:
sudo killall coreaudiod
and
Code:
coreaudiod

Sometimes i have to to it multiples times...

I remove WEG and got the pink lines at startup but the boot is ok.
I'm in 19.1 with those kexts :

Capture d’écran 2020-06-14 à 17.48.40.jpg

Hello,
Same for me : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-vii-and-new-amd-gpus-compatibility.269128/post-2062445

You don't have to reboot; try
Code:
sudo killall coreaudiod
and
Code:
coreaudiod

Sometimes i have to to it multiples times...

I remove WEG and got the pink lines at startup but the boot is ok.
I'm in 19.1 with those kexts :

View attachment 476051

Hot damn! That actually works.... man your a time saver :-D Thanks 1000. (tested 1 time, so 100% success so far)

Now I just need to get my z370 Gaming 7 bios to see my GC-Titan Ridge (latest firmware + no hardware attached to interfer). Nearly there!

Running on Mac Pro 7.1 SMBIOS but the VII does not feel like its getting used, on the same program for windows its on and running, but for mac its like 5 times slower, is there something I need to do to OPENCORE to get full accel? I do have Whatevergreen installed, I will try removing that and running it without - just feel like its not being used nearly as good as windows uses it.

Running on Mac Pro 7.1 SMBIOS but the VII does not feel like its getting used, on the same program for windows its on and running, but for mac its like 5 times slower, is there something I need to do to OPENCORE to get full accel? I do have Whatevergreen installed, I will try removing that and running it without - just feel like its not being used nearly as good as windows uses it.

Works great here, have had Radeon VII since launch and it's been in a full waterloop for a while now. It definitely gets used well, especially in accelerated apps like Davinci Resolve, FCP, Premiere Pro (Metal) and so on.

OpenCore is a bootloader and has nothing to do with your GPU, unless you mean WhateverGreen? (I have to use it or else my system crashes on dual monitors).

You can also try installing RadeonBoost kext, which I use, but it's mostly to give you proper bench scores in GeekBench etc.

Works great here, have had Radeon VII since launch and it's been in a full waterloop for a while now. It definitely gets used well, especially in accelerated apps like Davinci Resolve, FCP, Premiere Pro (Metal) and so on.

OpenCore is a bootloader and has nothing to do with your GPU, unless you mean WhateverGreen? (I have to use it or else my system crashes on dual monitors).

You can also try installing RadeonBoost kext, which I use, but it's mostly to give you proper bench scores in GeekBench etc.
Thank you, i dual boot windows, and using the exact same app on windows to render videos a 2 hour file renders in 2 minutes on windows, same file on mac 10 minutes.

Thank you, i dual boot windows, and using the exact same app on windows to render videos a 2 hour file renders in 2 minutes on windows, same file on mac 10 minutes.

What program?

I have done so many tests for many times in Davinci Resolve, Adobe apps, etc. The differences are very minor on my end between Windows and macOS for these apps.

The big difference comes when you play games that use OpenGL/DirectX and Metal (Not alot of games avail on macOS though). Windows always wins by many frames, but other than that they are very close.

@holmstockd would you be willing to share your EFI, I have the exact system setup with a i9-9940x CPU. I'm hitting walls trying to get this system to boot.

@holmstockd would you be willing to share your EFI, I have the exact system setup with a i9-9940x CPU. I'm hitting walls trying to get this system to boot.
sure, I removed the UUID and serial. also I have an issue when I boot that I get the warning about memory modules, so I have to fix that, other than that - it boots and works, and need to find a way to improved the Acceleration, it cant be that mac is slower on the same hardware as the PC is on.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
What program?

I have done so many tests for many times in Davinci Resolve, Adobe apps, etc. The differences are very minor on my end between Windows and macOS for these apps.

The big difference comes when you play games that use OpenGL/DirectX and Metal (Not alot of games avail on macOS though). Windows always wins by many frames, but other than that they are very close.
Movavi Video converter for 1, its very BAD, same app on both OS's Windows 1 minute of render per hour of video and mac its 7 minutes for that exact same file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back