Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm far from convinced that performance on this card is really fully optimised. Geekbench show significant higher scores when I test the card on Windows: In GeekBench 4 it is a 190.xxx score on Windows against 144.xxx on macOS 10.14.6. In GeekBench 5 it is a 76.xxx score on Windows against a 43.xxx score on Mac. In addition, Capture One shows a very clear performance advantage on Windows compared to Mac, using OpenCL. Same machine, obviously.

I think we need final Catalina to fully gauge this card. Luxmark looks solid, being only somewhat slower on the Mac.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the Radeon VII which seems to be recognized across benchmark apps like Luxmark and Geekbench and by Profiler but will not accelerate FCPX. It seems to provide a bit of support but does not fill GPU History in Activity Monitor the way my RX 580 would show it was being maxed out. I am running 18,3 SMBIOS, 7700K, Gig Z170X gaming mobo. I tried SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1, turned of iGPU (it crashes otherwise) and FCPX flew, rendering was 2X faster than my RX 580 but no matter what I do I can't get FCPX to do the same thing in 18,3. Thanks.
I used an RX580 with FCPX and my GPU history was full (100% of gpu use). Now I’m using a Vega 56 and my gpu history is only 30-40%, but I have a faster rendering experience! I think it’s normal!

I'm far from convinced that performance on this card is really fully optimised. Geekbench show significant higher scores when I test the card on Windows: In GeekBench 4 it is a 190.xxx score on Windows against 144.xxx on macOS 10.14.6. In GeekBench 5 it is a 76.xxx score on Windows against a 43.xxx score on Mac. In addition, Capture One shows a very clear performance advantage on Windows compared to Mac, using OpenCL. Same machine, obviously.

I think we need final Catalina to fully gauge this card. Luxmark looks solid, being only somewhat slower on the Mac.
To get real information about GPU performance use Luxmark instead of Geekbench: it is not working very well with high end GPU (I get same scores with RX580 and Vega 56/64, but they are very different in other benchmark! I don’t trust in Geekbench results, I use Cinebench for CPU and Luxmark for GPU to have real performance)

Last edited:
To get real information about GPU performance use Luxmark instead of Geekbench: it is not working very well with high end GPU (I get same scores with RX580 and Vega 56/64, but they are very different in other benchmark! I don’t trust in Geekbench results, I use Cinebench for CPU and Luxmark for GPU to have real performance)

Yeah, my Luxmark score look solid (51.450) and VideoProc shows full acceleration too, I'm just fighting a performance problem in Capture One (a raw photo editor) where the OpenCL performance is an issue compared to the exact same system running Windows. The only difference is that the app is also using the Intel iGPU on my Hackintosh, but not on Windows, so that might influence things.

However, since I just got the Hackintosh up and running perfectly, I'm not prepared to change from the iMac 19,1 SMBios to the iMacPro1,1 to test things without the Intel iGPU. I have been trying to figure out how to disable the iGPU temporarily, but so far without success.

Yeah, my Luxmark score look solid (51.450) and VideoProc shows full acceleration too, I'm just fighting a performance problem in Capture One (a raw photo editor) where the OpenCL performance is an issue compared to the exact same system running Windows. The only difference is that the app is also using the Intel iGPU on my Hackintosh, but not on Windows, so that might influence things.

However, since I just got the Hackintosh up and running perfectly, I'm not prepared to change from the iMac 19,1 SMBios to the iMacPro1,1 to test things without the Intel iGPU. I have been trying to figure out how to disable the iGPU temporarily, but so far without success.
Now I’m using Vega 56, but I’d like to tra Radeon VII! Do you have any (also rare) problem with this card?
Probably AMD works great with Metal in macOS app and worst with OpenGL....

Now I’m using Vega 56, but I’d like to tra Radeon VII! Do you have any (also rare) problem with this card?
Probably AMD works great with Metal in macOS app and worst with OpenGL....

I wouldn't say that I have any problems, just not sure whether the full performance of the card is yet unleashed. I think we will have to wait for Catalina and the official release of the Vega 2 Pro cards for the Mac Pro 2019 before we know.

Did you Gents download the latest Adrenalin 19.92 Drivers for Sapphire Radeon VII which was released on 9/12/2019 ?

using free2000 and emu variable of course, as required by z390 chipset.
g\

The developer who created OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 has warned against its use.

The developer who created OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 has warned against its use.

I saw that mentioned but what hardware exactly did he/she think it might harm? The BIOS, the motherboard, the RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back